Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing

HI

we have a baby room which can take six, and has had six for a while, but due to dropping numbers on three days a week we now only have three children and therefore only need one staff (according to ratio's). i really do not like just having one member of staff in there with three children. i feel it is hard work and that it means nothing in the room is really getting done due to the routines of the children (feeding bottles, changing etc etc) and i know how much hard work this is if your on your own.

i have looked in statatory guidance and can't see anything about lone workers, i really want some info that will argue the point that there should be two members of staff in a room at all times.

any ideas where i may find such info.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dawn

Is it possible to have a member of supernumary staff who 'floats' in and out between there and elsewhere in the setting, so she's not actually on her own all the time? I'd not want to be on my own with three babies, that's a lot of responsibility for one person. I'm sure it's not financially viable though to have two people in there, so you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, as they say.

It's not good practice for someone to be on their own like that. I'm sure. We have two adjoining rooms between 3 of us and children float between them and so do staff, where the bulk of children are, the younger ones get the higher staffing. Of course when outdoors is in the equation too it makes it trickier. Have you got a staffing policy?

Ofsted told me that ratio's mean nothing and what you have to look at is meeting the needs of the child. How can 1 person meet the needs of 3 children, especially all day. 2 with 3 children might not be financially viable however it will meet the needs of the children (and the staff!!)

Oh, Have no staffing policy, do we need one????

Is it possible to have a member of supernumary staff who 'floats' in and out between there and elsewhere in the setting, so she's not actually on her own all the time? I'd not want to be on my own with three babies, that's a lot of responsibility for one person. I'm sure it's not financially viable though to have two people in there, so you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, as they say.

It's not good practice for someone to be on their own like that. I'm sure. We have two adjoining rooms between 3 of us and children float between them and so do staff, where the bulk of children are, the younger ones get the higher staffing. Of course when outdoors is in the equation too it makes it trickier. Have you got a staffing policy?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)