Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

15hrs Provision

How do people staff a school nursery so they can cover the 15hrs provision parents are entitled to? My head and I have thought up some interesting ideas but would to hear how others have tackled this problem.

cheers

Verity

How do people staff a school nursery so they can cover the 15hrs provision parents are entitled to? My head and I have thought up some interesting ideas but would to hear how others have tackled this problem.

cheers

Verity

Hi Verityn,

I work in a school nursery and we open 8-30am till 11-30am/12-15pm till 3-15pm. We find it works really well.

Myself (N.N) and a level 2 TA (ie. usual nursery staff) are there until our nursery teacher is available although she tends to come in anyway. We also have a level 3 TA to call on should all the children come in on opening but that never seems to happen. The children tend to come in gradually over the first 15mins which is nice because you get to greet them all individually instead of having a big rush. We have 15mins to prepare the nursery for the afternoon session then half an hour for lunch. The teacher is there until 3pm then we do the last bit as she has meetings etc. after school.

Support staff in the nursery work until 4pm/4-30pm. This is due to single status/job evaluation reducing our pay, we work extra to keep our wages and this happened before the 15hr provision was introduced.We use this time to set up for for the next day, prepare resources and catch up with any work etc.

Hope this is heplful. :o

We start the day at 8.45 - 11.45 then 12.30 - 3.30 (no change in staffing teachers and NNs)

Parents who want a full day actually get 8.45 - 3.30 but pay the private day care in the CC for the additional 45 mins care and meal over lunchtime.

if you are struggling you do not have to offer the 15 hours as it is not compulsary. i attended a training workshop with a speak from our local educational and financial department for early years care. we were informed that so long as we made it clear to parents that we were and could only offer 12 hours, we would have to make reccomendations as to where they could access the rest of their hours.

did anyone else know about this?

We were in the original pathfinder group so are on our second year of 15 hour entitlement!

We have sessions 9 -12 and 12 -3

We use the extra half an hour for lunch.

So basically lunch is 11.30 - 12.30

This way we could open and close in line with school and offer lunch cover too!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works well.

Lunch staff cover for the hour in between sessions!

if you are struggling you do not have to offer the 15 hours as it is not compulsary. i attended a training workshop with a speak from our local educational and financial department for early years care. we were informed that so long as we made it clear to parents that we were and could only offer 12 hours, we would have to make reccomendations as to where they could access the rest of their hours.

did anyone else know about this?

Hi hfn :o

Yes, we did know it was not compulsory but our school was in a pilot area? so we had to offer it. I know there was some flexibility in what our school could offer but adding 15mins to each end of the two sessions suited us best. I think offering some children full days with lunch was discussed but that seemed unfair and would have been a nightmare to staff. Also if we altered the times too much from the normal school day some parents would have to make the trip to school twice if they had children in other year groups.

Thanks shiny for the thread.

I can see this has been and i am sure will continue to be a hot topic.

I shall take these ideas and see if we can find a solution to our problem.

thank you

Vx

• 2 weeks later...

Scarlettangel - Am i right in understanding your children have half an hour for lunch? - e.g. 11.30-12 for morning children. how many lunch staff do you have - wondering how ours would manage with seeing children in and out half-way through the lunch hour.

Edited by nsunshine

We are just going to carry on as we are but parents will have 6 sessions of NG instead of 5. Ours starts in September as we are disadvantaged area

Those of you who are already offering 15 hours per week, do you think you have found it a struggle financially?

Hello again!!

Our lunch club start (11.30) is also the start of the "private extended provision" and so we have to have the 1:8 ratio that then continues throughout the day.

We have lots of children who actually pay a £1 and then stay the whole hour for lunch.

We have a lunch club book so staff know who is staying for which half hour or full hour.

It was the only way for us to link the sessions and offer 15 hours and finish in line with school so as not to make another jopurney for parents!!

Hi all

We are supposed to be moving to the school in sept when we will be sharing a room with Early Years children (the children that attend school in the afternoon only just before they go full time into reception). Thing is we can get the 15 hrs into a week but would not be abe to offer afternoon sessions ie start 9 am and run until 12.45 (includes lunch club from 11.30 until 12.45 and is time spent in the dining hall, outside play area especially for the younger children). Are we supposed to be offering sessions in the afternoon also?

With finances the way they are for my pre-school how will the committee afford to staff it? Not that we have anywhere to go!!???

I don't think you need to offer afternoon sessions as well, so long as you can do the 15 hours ie 5 mornings of 3 hours is fine.

Even before we got the 15 hours funding we were doing this and a lunch club for a further hour, so financially are better off!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)