Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who Qualifies As A Key Person?

Hello, I am new to the forum and although i have replied to some posts i have never had a quiery of my own, until now!

we are currently recruitming for staff and have specified for applicants to have at least a Level2 qualification, this we have done because we can afford to have a L2 as the rest of my staff are level 3 but also becuase we will be expecting them to act as a key person to a group of children, are their requirments that keypersons must be at Least level 2 qualified or is it Level 3?

if a childminder applies are they able to be a keyperson with their previous training or do they have to top up with training!??

so many questions i know but would appreciate some answers!

Thanks x

Hi

Im key person to 8 children as is my job share (different 8 children) and neither of us are qualified yet (still in training). Not sure the supervisor and deputy would be happy to do all the work it entails between them ie approx 15 children between them?

Oh and welcome!

Edited by marley

Hi

Im key person to 8 children as is my job share (different 8 children) and neither of us are qualified yet (still in training). Not sure the supervisor and deputy would be happy to do all the work it entails between them ie approx 15 children between them?

Oh and welcome!

Thank you, that really helps i have looked everywhere for info on it, it is good to hear there are settings who have staff responsible for keychildren while training. This is something i could could consider at our setting too. thanks!

not sure on current regs

but you should be a level3

nvq's level 2 are not or were not taught observations my level2 member of staff (cache) did do observations as part of her training

not ideal but i to have a student (level3) who is a key person along with my excellent level 2 member of staff

i would not let unqualified staff be a key person if they were not good enough equally a rubbish qualified member perhaps would only be a key person with extra/ supported training

hope that makes sense

This is a difficult one - so much depends on the individuals strengths.

I do have a Level 2 staff member working as a key person for a v.small group (4) - she has been fantastic and has asked for help as and when needed - although her qualification is not so 'high' - she is an experienced and intelligent lady.

She is really enjoying her key person role and works incredibly hard on her observations and planning.

I am looking forward to her starting her DPP with NEC in September.

Sunnyday

This is a difficult one - so much depends on the individuals strengths.

I do have a Level 2 staff member working as a key person for a v.small group (4) - she has been fantastic and has asked for help as and when needed - although her qualification is not so 'high' - she is an experienced and intelligent lady.

She is really enjoying her key person role and works incredibly hard on her observations and planning.

I am looking forward to her starting her DPP with NEC in September.

Sunnyday

thank you, i also feel that this member of staff has the experience and knowldege to act as a kep person it is good to hear that other settings take this apprach also.

i know this member of staff would really embrace the role and work ahrd to maintain the childrens learning journals.

i will be encouragin her to tak eon further training to really reach her full potential.

cheers!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)