Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sats

a friend of mine's daughter, has been really stressing over her yr 6 SATs.

Unfortunately or fortunately, she has broken her right arm, we are not sure if she will be out of plaster in time.

Does anyone out there know if she has to do them or can the parents choose to 'opt out'??????????????

Her mother has decided she really does npt want her to go through the pressure. Does she have the right to remove her from test?

You can't "opt out" I'm afraid but if she is unable to attend school because of a broken arm there isn't much anyone can do about it. The school probably will be unhappy because it does reflect on their percentages and places in league tables. We had a child last year who had a scribe for the tests because of a broken arm.

The school is too small for league tables, but i think the mother will opt out by keping child off school. It isn't going to affect her high school place!!

I'm afraid small schools are the ones most affected by absence during SAT week as each child represents a higher percentage of the class. There is something really wrong with a system that puts so much pressure on results to the point children become anxious.

When my daughter did SATs a few years ago she was quite poorly with a bug of some kind. I had to bring her to school each day (this was suggested by the school) where she would sit her tests and then I would take her home.

If I had my time again I would have refused to do this. I still feel guilty at getting her up in the mornings of the tests when she really should have stayed in bed. When she'd come home from doing the tests she would just lie on the sofa and not want to do anything but sleep.

Wish I had been a bit more assertive now and hang those pesky league tables! :o

If it were me i would keep her off! the more parents that speak up the harder it will be for Ed Balls to say parents want these tests!!!

Poor child, poor teachers!

Actually i did the same with my son, the head rang and i took him in. i have always regretted it also.

I think i will advise that that they just have the day off!

Thanks for all your help.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)