Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Peer On Peer Observation

Desperately need help. I would like to put a system in place where peer on peer observation is encouraged and discussed as a FS Unit. I have one particular member of staff who has no enthusiasm, passion or real belief in the new system. I need her to improve and embrace this system. WE ARE NOT FORMAL TEACHING ANYMORE! Please tell me someone has some suggestions.

I will watch this thread with interest as i too feel like im in a similar situation with team members and would like to see any suggestions.

Also have u tried looking in the forum search? I have done this and there are a couple of other threads that have some useful suggestions and advice on how to go about peer on peer observations.

samfrostie :o

Edited by samfrostie

There was a discussion on here not long ago ref staff development and there were some examples of check/observation sheets you could use. I plan to implement this in my own nursery starting from next week! Sorry cant remember what the thread was called; maybe staff development? Someone will know and point you in the right direction!

I am interested in this topic as I am also hoping to start doing some peer to peer observations. I thought that I would do a pilot by asking someone to observe me. I think I like the idea of a list of things to look out for rather than an open ended observation because this list of things then helps remind or clarify the things that are important in our own practice. Also an open ended observation would be quite time consuming and could miss out on a lot of things someone does.

The only trouble is that as it is a list it could be a bit subjective and lacking in evidence and you might find that two members of staff could give the same person a very different score?

I quite liked one approach that I saw where against each statement, instead of giving a ranking, there was a space to give the example of what the staff member did to achieve the statement.

I think I might get people involved in drawing up the list rather than impose it on them, and perhaps just start with a few things at a time.

Thanks guys. It is good to know I am not alone in this struggle. Will let you all know what I find out.

A HUGE THANK YOU for all the help!!! :o

Have you looked at 'coaching' as a method of peer to peer observation? The idea behind it is that is non-judgemental and facilitates an open discussion by the person being observed about what they did. The person observing does not make judgements but talks about things they noticed (factual information) and asks open ended questions. It can't be taken on lightly as staff need to be trained in doing it, but it is a non-threatening approach and is more about having a constructive philosophy in the setting.

There are some good books on it but I guess really needs to be a whole school approach. We are justing starting out in the early days with some of our staff by counting no. of closed vs. open questions as a basis for discussion.

Hiya, what a relief to see that other people are in the same boat trying to encourage and support people to work well with children. i have tried modelling and training some people which worked for awhile but not for long.

i have found that sometimes a lack of enthusiasm is due to a lack of understanding of what is expected of them and scarily in some cases if child development. so we are aiming to complete in depth supervisions and peer observations backed up by relearnng child development in all areas but who knows if this will work either. the peer obs sheet looked really good and we have a video camera too so we may get some where

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)