Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Drop-offs And Collections

I have not had to pay a great deal more for occasional business use - I think last year they added it for free after they forgot to put it on the renewal.

I'm with Direct Line, and when I enquired about adding this to my policy I was told it would be no problem, and would be free. However when she checked my policy details she saw that I ensure two cars with them and receive a discount for doing so. If I added the business use to the policy I would be unable to claim my second car discount. When I enquired how much that would be it turned out to be £400!

That's quite a lot to take the odd unaccompanied child on a trip in my car, so this is not something I feel I can offer!

Maz

I'm with Direct Line, and when I enquired about adding this to my policy I was told it would be no problem, and would be free. However when she checked my policy details she saw that I ensure two cars with them and receive a discount for doing so. If I added the business use to the policy I would be unable to claim my second car discount. When I enquired how much that would be it turned out to be £400!

That's quite a lot to take the odd unaccompanied child on a trip in my car, so this is not something I feel I can offer!

Maz

Maz.. we are with Direct line too..

one car insured for business use.. no extra charge..

the other not..

and we still get the second car discount...

as well as discount on house insurances...

we have shopped around every year..but with Direct line they ask us for an enormous increase.. we work out what it would be as a new customer.. ring them up and get the new customer rate... done this for 3 years now!

It is worth checking with different insurer's, some charge for business rate, others don't as we find every year when checking ours...

Inge

• 2 months later...
Guest jenpercy
I have recently been all through this and was told;

1. Have to have business insurance by law if you carrying children in vehicle from a business. (Chilminders can add onto their normal insurance, nurseries cant)

2. Also seatbelts and booster seats

3. At least 2 named people to be insured on the vehicle in case something happens whilst transporting the children (how this works with childminders I dont know !).

4 At least two people should be travelling at all times with the children even with a walking bus (insurance may be invalid if not- if one member of staff got hit by a car, or fainted the other would be there with the children!), just like inside the Nursery one person never left alone.

We struggle as we take 1 children to school and need 2 staff, its so not cost effective!!!!!

No disrespect to childminders but it seems one rule for them and one for nurseries!

Morton Michel are always on the end of the phone it might be best to give them a call for some advice.

As an after-school club, we have always sent one member of staff for up to 8 children, and have been inspected many times by Ofsetd without comment. (Although as we go up to age 11, and we do actually send 2 staff for less than 8 on some occasions, when we have more little ones and a more hazardous route.

I had always been told that 2 people were necessary in my car, but recently, an OFSTED inspector was waiting for me when I arrived with 3 children in the car. she was only interested in the fact that I had 3 car seats. Indeed another setting was in trouble from OFSTED for having one member of staff arrivwe at the setting with children 3 minutes before the next, and the OFSTED inspector had to agree that if she'd been in her car she could have driven round the block until the 2nd staff member arrived.

Now thee's a stupid piece of regulation for you. childminder can have children all day alone. We can't be on the premises without a 2nd staff member, but we can wait in the car park. (confirmed by more than one inspector)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)