Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reflection

I'm trying to get my staff to work better... i just wondered how you begin to get your staff to self reflect on what they are doing.

I will watch this with interest, I had to do a little thing with my staff who are doing NVQ's they asked me if they were reflective in different situations and my options were always, sometimes, never. When I asked them about it they said 'I always do that' (reflect) but when I asked for 3 examples they struggled. I found personally that writing my journals in the first two years of my degree to be a good way to get into the reflective mode but I dont know if you have time for that.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say on this subject

Have you looked at the threads on appraisals recently. There was a self-evaluation from on one of them for staff to complete. This would be a good starting point for discusion

i also ask staff to complete a self appraisal form to reflect on practice before the actual appraisal and also discuss reflective practice at supervisions

I have used appraisal system, when staff we asked to write what barriers they came up against teo of them stated none despite being late everyday!!

None of them wanted to further their careers or really do any further training, one of them wanted my job!

I don't think they really understood the process and the advantage of being able to recognise your own weaknesses as well as strengths.

I will continue to try this method in various formats to see if I can make a break through

same here wendles, tried the appraisal but they didn't seem to be able to reflect, asked about barriers or reason why they can't perform, they said none but i also have staff who are late, don't prepare resources, have children fighting next to them but don't notice them until its pointed out to them, don't want to do qualifications as they say its not worth it.....when i asked them to score themselves in the appraisal they put 3's all the way though.... i have even tried asking them how they thought they had managed an activity, they just say ok...... it's sooo hard... how do you get staff to self reflect and think about what they are doing and how they can improve what they are doing....i have even tried asking staff at a staff meeting how we could improve the homecorner for example, they just sit and look at me, and i make all the suggestions... i will perserveer i'm sure i'll have a magical break through one day and the penny will drop asif by magic, and i'll have a very reflective work force... here's hopeing!!!!

this is quiet interesting...

before i started my current setting i never had to really think about why i did what i do, how i could have done it differently. so it was all new to me.

i must be honest i found it really hard at first and felt i was being criticised and what i was doing wasn't good enough. so that was a big hurdle for me to get over.

but with training and a supporting manager i have learnt how to reflect and challenge things for improvement. i guess the flip side is some people - due to their personalities may think they are 'perfect'....

maybe one could do a brain storming session with the staff as to why we reflect on our practice. what questions we could ask ourselves to help the thought process...

all the best, must be so frustrating. i guess some people aren't as passionate about their jobs as we are.

i take it you do mean reflective about themselves and not the setting?

we are very reflective with regards to our setting how we set it up what we set up does it work

would i like to play there? what is it like for a child?

Guest Agyness

Peer to peer observation? Get Staff Practitioners to observe your own practice interacting with a child or group and constructively comment on what they saw as good and what they saw as bad - for example they might notice that a little boy's comment or action was overlooked as they can objectively step back from the context. Listen to their comments and then put them in your own Reflective Journal and then suggest that they chose another Practitioner to observe their practice. Use stickies or Learning Story format for a more holistic view.!

Edited by Agyness