Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Biting!

Hello there everyone,

Well first of all I hope I have posted this in the right place, I have searched this issue and I just think I need a good moan :o Its also the first time I have posted a topic lol so apologies if I cock it up.

We have a biter in my baby room and today they bit 3 children, 1 of them has been bitten 3 times this week already and I think mam has had enough-which you would. Anyway we record everything, all parties responses, maintain confidentiality do everything by the book, problem is the child is only 19months and we have tried to search strategies to use but they all seem to be for older children! Anyone with any other tips I would appreciate, however I am aware we are limited! We have shadowed the biter and observed the triggers and they are a mixture of everything, frustration, excitement, affection!

Anyway Im just concerned about the mam of the child who has been bitten. She is such a lovely mam and tonight she was just not happy and from her comments she made to staff I think we may loose her and her child!

I was in a meeting when she was due to collect child, but told the staff to interrupt me so I could talk to her but she didnt see any need as staff spoke to her. I rang her tho and left a message asking her if she would like to arrange a meeting with me tomorrow as the child wont be in until next week so will wait and see!

Im also concerned of the biter and their folks - the whole situation is so frustratin rar!

Im not expecting any answers or anything from you guys I just wanted to just talk lol because I care so much for my children, parents, carers and staff and an incident like this is just so frustrating!

Thanks for listening guys - I love this forum!

Mich xx

Hi Mich,

I can really sympathise with you on this one. Biting is a hard one that is equally as upsetting for the parents of the child that has been bitten as well as the parents of the biter. It is very hard at that age as they are still babies and as you say most stratergies are for older children. We ended up with a visit from Ofsted as a result of a biting incident. We followed procedures by the book but the parent of the child who was bitten was still unhappy. (this was the 1st time her child had been bitten) The parent of the child who had been bitten made some unreasonable demands including wanting to know how we punished the biter, she wanted the child removed from the setting and she even wrote to the parents of the biter and told them to find other child care to name but a few!! (the child told her the biters name although we never confirmed it!!) We spent weeks discussing the incident etc etc and in the end they were still not happy and reported us to Ofsted. The inspector was lovely and after looking at some paper work and talking to the staff she left and there was no come back on us at all. Needless to say the parent who reported us is still at the setting!! The biter has now moved rooms but as you know they are quickly replaced! There are now 3 19/21 month olds that like to be tactile with their teeth and it has been a challenge! What we have found works well is to let them spend time in the 2-3's room with a member of staff from the baby room. It is working well for us as quite shortly they will be transferring there and it will make the move easier for them. The parents are all delighted as 2 of these babies took ages to settle in the baby room and see the visits as a very small step towards moving rooms in a few months. They go for perhaps an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon and so far we have had no biting for nearly a month. This depends on the size of the nursery but we are lucky as we can cater for this an it is working really well.

I think you have done the right thing ringing mum and hopefully she will meet with you to discuss it. Let me know how it goes.

Gill

Congratulations on your first topic! There was another thread recently about biting which may have some useful suggestions. We've had a biter, but were able to sort out the trigger which was frustration, but if there are lots of triggers you are looking at permanent one-to-one for a bit I think - and I think that saying you are doing this might appease the parent. As you say, you really don't want to lose her, so you need to be seen be be doing something. How often is the biter in? Is there any way you can timetable the children differently so that the bitten child isn't in at the same time?

Thanks for your response Gill!! feel much better already hun :o

I was actually thinking there about the child going for little pre-visits to the next room coz we can cater for them from 20 months in my toddler room!

I think I may try that as they will be doing visits any way in a month or so and see if that eases it!!

It is a tricky situation!

I will defo keep you posted - its good to know that you aint the only one - it reassures you a bit! Especially as we do so much surrounding this e.g. recording, reassuring etc

EEE i duno- Wednesdays seem to be my bogey days-sumit always happens lol

Mich xx

Lol - supposedly they're meant to be the most productive day of the week - productive in problems!!!

Just seems past few weeks every Wed has been an issue!

I feel better now tho after talking to you guys - thanks and tomorrow is another day :o

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)