Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Pre-school

Me again.. some have followed my other posts regarding finding new premises for our pre-school. I possibly may be back to renting a hall, this one being much more suitable and allowing freeflow outdoor use etc.. so now I am thinking start a new one..

Don't have the first idea where to start.. well apart from this brilliant forum of course! Found useful info on starting committee run pre-schools but I am keen to move away from committees (can't be much less supportive than going it alone!) Any hints or knowlegde anyone?

its exciting planning a new preschool,

what do you have so far? I mean are you looking for a fresh start for an exsiting group or is this a total start from scratch? if your starting from scratch you would need to do some kind of feasibility study looking at all aspects of running a group and looking at the local area, need and location (market research). a much needed preschool in a bad location is worse than a not needed preschool in a good position.

PSLA are a good starting point as well as the business department of your Early years they will be able to advise you what kind of managment structure to go for ie charity commitee, not-for-profit management commitee, small business etc

location - do you have some venues in mind? if not have you checked what your local schools have to offer? a mobile on school grounds could be worth investing in if you could offer before and after school care or share a mobile with a before and after school club.

once you begin to get your ideas together you can start to structure a business plan, mapping out what you want to do, how you plan to do it and how you will sustain it once its up and running. there are loads of books in the library about business plans and its important to keep track of you planning this way

I am thinking from scratch, ideally. I have put together a business plan. I hope I have found somewhere (meeting on Friday to look into it further) .. When do I register with Ofsted? Now, or do they want to know where it will be first? A lot to think of! Thank you for your thoughts so far. x

Does anyone know about funding for a new setting? When do you recieve it etc? How do you pay for your first term?

Does anyone know about funding for a new setting? When do you recieve it etc? How do you pay for your first term?

hi my local authority wont fund me for the 1st term - you need to speak to your Early Years Team - good luck x :o

Yes, I read your thread, Hali. I'll let you know how it stands in Oxfordshire when I find out. I have been in touch with a Childcare Development Officer about my plans. She says I must go by a survey they carried out to ensure my new setting will be covering gaps. I wanted a pre-school but the survey says there are already a higher percentage than average here and I need to provide 'diversity of provision' ?? What do other people do to offer a little more to the community. I see flexibilty is going to be the key for the future offering the 15 hour entitlement to parents to take pretty much in whatever breakdown they like so am thinking of extra early starts on offer i.e breakfast club. But that takes me on to another path of school drop offs - eek! This I know nothing about! Any help on ANY of the above greatly appreciated!!! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)