Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Finally Done It!

skippy

Today we have finally decided to go topic free as from summer term. Have just finished the new planning formats.

Not quiet sure how to evidence the commitment cards, thought about the planning but wondered about the daily routines as what we do. what do you think? Has there been any previous threads ?

Thanks again

Guest Wolfie

Do we really need written evidence of our adherence to the commitment cards?

I've steered clear of this so far because I'm sure that the existing paperwork, routines, partnership with parents and other agencies, etc. will provide the evidence needed without the ned for MORE paperwork! I visited a nursery given an "outstanding" last week and they had no written evidence relating to the four themes.

I'll also watch this thread with interest! :o

thanks for the replies i know it is extra work doing this but surely if say its in your routine then you would only do this the once as it is evidence and you only need to update it if things change? What do you think?

Hello there

Couldn't resist coming in on this one as I too have done away with 'topics'. Basically felt they were too restrictive in letting the children's learning go where they needed.

We did let go slowly. First reducing the number of adult directed activities, then taking the adult directed out of the earlier part of the morning's 'free play' time (or child initiated) and moving it to the shorter, compact space just before going home; and now we have finally let go altogether and trust our professionalism, knowledge of the childrens needs and learning styles to respond to them at the time that they need it.

We have a list of ideas to fall back on for those 'blank' moments, where you just have no inspiration, but they are honestly few and far between as we simply listen to the children.

Planning is now totally centered around chidren's needs based on skills, interest and information from parents, carers and other settings. Have just completed the planning checklist for next term and am pleased to say that it covers all 6 areas of learning as well as 'Keeping Safe', 'Health & Well Being', 'Supporting Learning', 'Keyperson', Supporting Every child', 'The Learning Environment', 'The Wider Context', 'Play & Exploration', 'Active Learning', and 'Creativity & Critical Thinking'.

Staff have responded positively to this move and have acknowledged the benefits to children (and themselves) of developing a learning opportunity alongside the children.

Go on, free yourselves !!!!!

we're topic free too........ staff found it difficult at first- but are now ok with it.

We keep a print-off from- I think it's Woodland Junior School webiste...which has to month- by- month calender of events which we keep in our planning folder for 'blank moments'........ They seen to have found events and special days for almost every day of the year, these often link up to little snippets on the news or the daily papers, which make them 'relevant for the moment'...which our parents pick up on too, such as world enviroment day etc.

xxxxxxx

just re-read that...sorry lot's of 'whichs' in there!!!!

Edited by louby loo

we to are set topic free too we follow children's interests

so we are on our third topic of bugs (as this really is interesting them) since jan

we have also done witches and wizards as the boys loved dressing up in the costumes

mind you i ahve 3 children who love and are so into high school musical and we have had postcards of the actors on my sharing board for weeks now :o

We tend to go with an idea that is maybe popular with a few children we often find like with the witches theme that this role play was being carried out by 4 children children playing together..... at the same time we had another child who loves mini beasts and with that child and any one else who was interseted we did a wormery

we often run topics or ideas together like this

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)