Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interactive Whiteboards

Hi Han,

Just wanted to say welcome first - the forum has been a lifesaver to me!

I teach Reception and we have access to an Interactive Whiteboard for one session a week - it is really good fun and the children love the interactive aspect of it! Here are some of the things we do:

- Children use a paint programme and paint hughe pictures (which can be printed out) this can sometimes have a focus - we drew around different children and tried to label all the 'parts' we could see afterwards (have words ready on the screen so that they can be moved.

- Read interactive stories with lots of different things to press and move about (the bbc website is a great resource!)

- Any 'games' that you have on your normal PC's can be demonstrated to a bigger group.

one thing I would say is make sure that the screen is low enough for the children to access!

Hope you enjoy it!!!

Hi Han & welcome.

Have fun with your interactive whiteboard and take some time to familiarise the children with it. Its quite a difficult skill writing and drawing on it and likewise moving objects about. We used "Leaps and Bounds" on ours in Reception and it was great fun but we needed alot of time developing the skills I have just mentioned in order to progress.

we used an interactive whiteboard in the nuresery towards the end of last session and the children loved it. We mainly played the computer classroom on it and one of the main benefits of it was that instead of working alone or in a pair, whole groups of children were getting involved and cheering the others on when they got something right. Unfortunately our whiteboard was only on loan but we would love one of our own. one tip is to have it fixed to save have to callibrate the mouse constantly. Have fun susanp

Have only stood infront of one for 10 seconds and got a migraine so I won't be able to use one, bare this in mind when the children stand infront of it, they are bound to look at the light.

Guest Tracey F

The best tip I had for using the interactive whiteboard, was to get hold of a soft headed music beater, and use this for pressing, drag and drop etc.

1- it gives the children a greater 'reach'

2- they seem to find it easier to drag and drop with it

3- it saves sticky fingers on the board :o

The children also now tell any visitors (children or adults) to 'push not bang'!

I think the problem with looking at the light is less of an issue for a ceiling mounted projector, at least for me it is.

I am in Reception and we use ours with various bits of software, but also have used it with children's names - children move them as high up the board as they can - a sort of 'reach' chart as opposed to a height chart!

As others have said, give them time to get used to it and above all....

have fun! :D

there is a new projector for the smart board available that is mounted above the white board and uses mirrors to direct the light onto the screen so no more worry about children looking into the lens!

• 1 year later...

:) Hi all

We have just had whiteboards installed in Y1 and 2. I am using a mobile set up in my reception class and they love it. Hopefully will have boards installed in all YR and Nursery classes next year.

Hi marion, I noticed this was your first post, so welcome on board.

We have also just had our IWB fitted, one in nursery and 1 in each reception class. great fun. Talk about big kid !!

We are getting used to it now! We are waiting for a step though as some children still have trouble reaching high enough for the website activities. Thanks for all the ideas though i will perhaps suggest some of my own one day!

Han

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)