Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inappropriate Contact?

Just had a call from a senior colleague at pre-school to say a parent tracked down her private home number on

friday and phoned her today to ask if something had happened to her son yesterday at [re-school as he had a high temperature and was complaining of neck ache! Our setting is very hot on reporting any incidents/accidents and parents are always informed

either by a phone call during the session (ie. a bump to the head) or advised at the end of the session (if a minor accident or incident). I do understand her concern for her son but anxious that a parent has contacted a member of staff on her ex-directory home number. We do not have a policy covering this area of practise and wondered if anyone had any ideas?

dottyp

no we didn't have a policy on that but what we did have as a mobile telephone where all parents were given the number etc, which was with manager or staff member at home. the phone was usually on almost all the time, but when off had an answering service on and was checked regularly.

It did prove very useful for one parent who urgently needed me one Sunday evening...made both of our lives easier for next day...

parents often sent a text message when a child is off, meant they could send one at any time and not have to worry about timing the call to reach us.

Inge

wow thats unbelievable (well i guess its not really) a few of my staff have children at the local primary school and get pestered by parents who think they want to constantly talk about their child, i regualarly remind them through news letters that if they wish to discuss any issues/concerns regarding their child please arrange to meet myself or the key worker during session time and not to expect staff to discuss their children out of work.

I saw the grandmother of one of the children in our group in our local supermarket last weekend and she proceeded to follow me (and my 3 boys) around the aisles asking advice about toilet training!!

I very politely suggested that she discuss it with the key worker or supervisor at preschool. She seemed quite surprised that I wasnt going to discuss it over my weekly shop!

I have a friend who is a nurse and one of her neighbours actually dropped their trousers in a shop, asking for a consultation about a strange rash.

Sometimes people do the strangest things. :o

don't - a few years ago I had an complaint to Ofsted about me, as my husband had told a parent I was not available to discuss her sons potty training at 10.30 at night.

(I was asleep :o ) - parents !!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)