Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dear Zoo

Hi we are doing a topic on dear zoo next week! has anyone got any good ideas for numeracy which i could use. thanks in advance.

hi i did this recently and was a success. i got eight party boxes and numbered them 1 - 8 i placed an animal in each box as they appeared in story eg in box one i put an elephant box 2 i put a girraffe etc - i placed the boxes randomly on floor and let group order them by number. each child was given a box and as i read the page i said "and in box 1 they sent me "

the child with that box would then open their box and say the name of their animal.

once story was over we discussed the animals - which was the heaviest / lightest , longest / shortest , tallest / smallest etc

and ordered the animals by these.

another activity we did was each child took a turn to hide their animal whilst other children closed their eyes - the child ( sometimes supported by adult) then used positional / directional clues to direct the other children to the hidden animal .

hope thats a help - i know its not all numeracy but might be useful

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)