Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thinking Outside The Box

I'm looking for an experiement for children that involves comparing differences between something other than a plant! I wish to carry out an activity with my class that is 'outside the box' for a course I am doing. The usual experiments with plants are great, however I'm trying to think of something along these lines with something other than a plant. The lessons need to show children comparing results.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can give.

Dori

Freezing and melting, moulds in wet and dry sand, paint mixing, textures of fabric and sorting, porous and waterproof, building with different materials looking at strength/weakness and suitability for purpose, baking activities before/after, rolling and sliding, tasting and likes and dislikes. I'm sure they'll be lots more ideas from members on here.

This activity sounds awful but leads to great discussions,

find 2 matching clear glass fish tanks or similar,

place a wet paper towel in one dry towel in the other,

put pieces of bread, apple,banana, metal, tissue, seeds and small onion in each tank.

cover tightly with cling film and allow to "stew", in a few days rotting will start in the damp tank and the dry tank will remain fairly stable.

Give the children magnifying glasses and await their reactions.

after a week or ten days remove both pieces of cling film, the smell will be rather appalling ,but to the children that will be part of the fun.

Hint for anyone with a delicate system,there will be marked differences between the contents of each tank and these can be easily seen without opening the tanks . Good luck , but it will hold the interests of those boisterous 4 year olds who enjoy anything most adults feel repulsive.

This activity sounds awful but leads to great discussions,

find 2 matching clear glass fish tanks or similar,

place a wet paper towel in one dry towel in the other,

put pieces of bread, apple,banana, metal, tissue, seeds and small onion in each tank.

cover tightly with cling film and allow to "stew", in a few days rotting will start in the damp tank and the dry tank will remain fairly stable.

Give the children magnifying glasses and await their reactions.

after a week or ten days remove both pieces of cling film, the smell will be rather appalling ,but to the children that will be part of the fun.

Hint for anyone with a delicate system,there will be marked differences between the contents of each tank and these can be easily seen without opening the tanks . Good luck , but it will hold the interests of those boisterous 4 year olds who enjoy anything most adults feel repulsive.

Its a lovely experiment. If you add salt to some of the items, you'll see a difference there too

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)