Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For A Sensory Session

sorry if this is in wrong place, i have never started a new topic before!!

I work in a childrens centre as a childrens centre worker.My first project is to buy equipment and start a sensory session group for children and families (0 -5)I have been asked to do some planning for the sensory sessions relating to EYFS.My mind as gone blank, i would be really grateful if you could give me any help.Thanks.

Edited by Guest

hi dont worry if its in the wrong place someone will come along and move it.

a lovely catalogue we used recently was reflections on learning and it didnt seem too expensive - depends on your budget and what you need to cover- do you have an outside area that you could plant with the children - lovely smelling herbs etc and lots of different coloured flowers - also lots of wind chimes , mobiles etc for the garden - give us an idea of your setting - inside and outside that will help us to help you x

Hi,

Mirrors, feely bags (black bags that you can put objects inside), blindfolds (for smelling, feeling without sight), disco balls, different textured materials, spices, fairy lights, etc. I've also done a thing where you set up a tent so it's dark inside and the children can explore by their sense of touch. Don't forget music and sound effects as well.

Might be worth also googling 'sensory room' and 'autism' or similar as many special schools have an entire room kitted out with sensory things for autistic children.

Cheers, sue.

What about setting up treasure baskets on different sensory themes? You could also use stories with props which reflect the story content, so that the children can experience the story as you tell it. Try to find props that appeal to all the senses rather than just the traditional story sack contents.

Thanks for all those ideas-very helpful I will certainly be using them!

I also need help with my planning.i need to plan for a sensory session which links to EYFS.

Can any one help with this!!!!!!

Sessions will be open to 0-5

You will definitely need some tuff spots! They are useful for so many different things and depending on whether they are on a table, on the floor, indoors or out, cater for all age ranges. We have had baby lotion in ours this week. Initially it was just hands, making marks - swirls, lines, blobs etc. Then the children spontaneously added some printing things from the dough table, vehicles to make tracks, a comb, nailbrush and a glue spreader and explored all the different marks they could make! And they all went home smelling absolutely lovely!!

I teach in a special school so I'd say all my sessions are multi-sensory. I think it really depends what kind of focus you'd like to your sessions. We do sensory stories, sensory science, food tech, maths, art as well as sessions in our sensory room.

hello nicola

I see you are from manchester, so am I , can you say which school you are from??

Im not exactly sure how im going to approach the sessions yet and what i intend to focus on.

However,my manager has said I need to think about doing a planning sheet to show how i will link the sensory sessions to EYFS. I dont know where to start.

Anyone else is welcome to give me ideas.Thanks

maybe you could focus on one of the senses each day/week.

i would plan the first session eg on sight: light box, rope light, torches, kaleidoscope, mirrors, making rainbows etc

then ask the parents to help give suggestions for the other senses eg. touch, taste, smell, hearing.

I'd rather not say on here what school I work for but I work in Trafford so if that is near you then maybe we could get together to talk about stuff.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)