Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Caculation

Who has any great child initiated ideas for calculation. So that we can observe children covering the Calculation profile points without too much adult direction.

We've just done picnic baskets (Whatever Next!) adding and taking away different foods. I did a group activity first and then left activity for free play. Have also observed children in farm talking about how many animals in the field and adding and taking away. Doesn't cover all children though as I've still got some whose only truely child initiated activity is playing cars.

i did activity with foods and hungry caterpillar - we used the foods and spoke about how many he needed eg we had 3 oranges he needed 5 how many more did he need to find and there were eg 5 oranges and as he ate one there were 4 etc -how many would there be if he ate one more?

left foods out for the children to use alongside book - found they mostly said foods were for them but still had the i want 3 strawberries and i onlky have 2 i need one more etc

We did a mix of the previous 2 ideas. We read The Shopping Basket and I used a wicker shopping basket with the items in as a prop. It creates a number pyramid/staircase so when the items are laid out on the floor so its very visual.After the story the basket has been in the book corner and we've observed the removal and adding of items plus conversations about calculations.Charlie the class bear is in there so he's helped extend it by being really greedy and occasionally been found sat with some fruit :o Our number phobics don't even know they are extending themselves

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)