Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq3: Building Your Portfolio!

Steve

Hi all.

That is a really useful document! Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

The one thing that threw me is where it says "no photographs of children". We have been encouraged to include these in our portfolio as long as we have parental consent.

I realise that things vary from assessor to assessor or from examining board to examining board but this is a fairly big issue that surely should be the same across the whole nvq structure?

I would be interested to here what other nvq students have been told regarding photos of children.

Regards,

Julie

Our staff, while doing NVQ's were told by the college NOT to include even photos of the setting! I do think it makes evidence gathering a bit difficult if photos arent allowed, and so long as there is proof of parent consent I really cant see a problem with photos. Why not allow a back view of the children so there are no faces? Very confusing issue, especially as I was allowed photos, there should at least be a national standard on it. :o:D

Hi Julie -

We had to think about the inclusion of that line. It seems to be difficult to track down where the original advice came from, and it also seems (as Rea says) to be extremely inconvenient.

We have recently had a response from the Chief External Verifier for CACHE, however, that it is indeed the case. Apparently they stipulated this after taking legal advice.

We should probably have a conversation about ways around this problem. What if you put references in the Portfolio to a separate file containing only photographs, which didn't leave the setting? The assessor could reference these on one of his/her visits. What do you reckon?

I HOPE that's what you mean, young lady!!!

When I received this directive initially, we were advised by the PLA, Midlands region, that if candidates wished to use photos of children as evidence, they could show us on a visit, which we could note as seen and accepted as evidence in our observations, so it didn't need to be kept with the portfolio. In practice, I have only ever done this once, however.

Any help?

Sue :D

Very interesting! I have masses of photographs in mine, for which I had consent from the parents of course. I know that one woman, a childminder, had so many that she ended up making up a seperate folder of them and indexing them so that she could cross reference them to any unit she felt appropriate. Obviously our examining board haven't seen it as a problem yet. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)