Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Water

Hi, i wondered if anyone has any ideas for our topic next term. We ard doing food and we are struggling for what to do in the water area. any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks 0258 :o

Hi, i wondered if anyone has any ideas for our topic next term. We ard doing food and we are struggling for what to do in the water area. any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks 0258 :o

Perhaps look into capacity and have pouring and measuring things linked to the cooking activity i.e how many spoons to fill a cup.

Seives etc.. are also enjoyed by our children

and perhaps floating which food float, vegetables etc.

and washing fruit, veg scrubbing dirty potatoes

reversible and irreversible change - ice cubes that dissappear, pasta that does not

dissolving to change the colour

hope these are helpful you have got me thinking

hope there are more ideas so that I too can add to my knowledge

g

Our children have enjoyed anything and everything frozen in ice - haven't used food but why not - perhaps some berries - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries - we use the plastic tubs that you get from the chinese takeaway - aren't they just the most useful things?!?

Sunnyday

Fish ! Do a search and quite a few discussions on this and some pics. :o

Be clear though of your policies on 'food' for play, waste in a hungry world, consideration for vegetarians if using fish, allergies etc.

Just had another thought, how about exploring different dried powders / herbs etc, and what happens to them when mixed with water. Bicarb, gravy granules, flour, custard powder, salt, dried herbs.

Maybe you could use dried foodstuffs, mix with a bit of water and see if the children can 'paint' a picture with food, I wonder what will happen to it when it dries? Will it all fall off the paper? What will it smell like? feel like? etc

Have fun.

Peggy

Some great responses, All I would add is beware of over doing the theme. Just because your theme is food does not mean to say that each of your 6 areas has to be themed in the same way. In terms of water experience, what skills do your children need to develop? I would then plan to meet those and just add food if it was appropriate. If your food takes you to Italy you could well put pasta in your water but you might also be exploring modes of transport around Venice and building yourself a boat that floats!

Hi, everyone, thanks for all those wonderful replies that have given me lots of ideas to try. Just wondering what one of the replies said that I had been thinking about this evening about linking the water area to the topic. Think that the topic is not always appropriate for the area, especially when it is not a focused actiivity.

I will see many thanks again. Not been of the forum for a while as been very busy looking after my parents and helping my son revise for exams. 0258 x x :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)