Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Individual Education Plans

Can anyone help me? I need to compose an IEP for a child in my setting to justify my claim for funding. Please can I have some ideas how to go about writing this? Thanks

Hi Sue - another one!!!

Welcome aboard. Or maybe that should be thanks for your first post!

I'm sure your SEN Code of Practice should give you guidance on this, also that's what your support staff in the EYDCP are for!

What sort of setting are you in? Are you the Senco, if so, what about all the training you're entitled to which should have covered this.

Sorry, too many questions, but you really shouldn't feel out on a limb here.

Will get back to you later with an eg or ideas, have to do some digging.

Sue :D

Hi Sue, If you are trying to get funding you may be better writing the information in a report. That way you can go into more detail about the childs developmental needs. When i have written a report for funding reasons i listed all the ELGs and wrote a short description of what areas the child needs adult support with. You will need to put down what stage the child is at with his/her development and what he/she will need help with. If you want to add an IEP in with the report just add specific points and remember to put small targets that the child will be able to achieve with the extra adult help. You should also have ideas on how you will achieve these targets e.g. what activities you will use. Hope this helps and it is not as clear as mud.

Hi Sue, When you write your IEP you have to remember to write small achievable targets and clearly state the resources (materials, staffing) and therefore funding that you need. You need to be clear about where the gaps are between where the child is and where he would be expected to be according to his chronological age. If you can prove what the child needs in order to be able to access the foundation stage curriculum/ to be safe in the setting it would also help. You need to clearly state any health and safety issues for the child and or the rest of the class. It would be helpful if you have a link book with all entries of all incidents, or cases where there has already been intervention and have this dated and signed. You can also try your LEA Educational Psychologist, speech and language therapist, behaviour team or whatever outside agency may be relevant as with evidence of their intervention - you taking their advice/following their strategies - you will find it easier. I know this sounds daunting but there are thousands of pounds out there if you go through the right channels - I've just got over £1000 for 6 weeks for a child with a promise of more so its worth all of your work.

Loads of luck and I hope you get the funding you want and need,

Ruthanne

Hi Sue,

Thanks for making your first post :)

When I write an IEP, I remember the SMART acronym

S= specific

M=measurable

A=achievable

R=relevant

T=time bound

We were taught this on our SENCO course.

Targets need to need to be specific; "to be more independent" is no good, but "will take off own shoes and place in the shoe rack" is fine. Other examples are "He will count 3 objects", "She will complete a six piece puzzle", and "He will point to a named picture in a chosen book"

You need to inlcude conditions or strategies needed in order for success to occur. You need to consider, for example, what the staff will do to help, what the child is going to do ("will point to her name from a selection of three name cards"), how/when it will be done, and how often (once per session, twice per day, etc).

Examples of conditions and strategies include; when presented with paper and crayons; after demonstration; when singing number rhymes; when it is snacktime; on arrival each morning; when prompted by keyworker.

There are many ways that help can be given to the child carrying out the targets; presentation/amount of materials (larger, fewer in number from which to choose, etc); pace (slower, to aid success); organisation of the setting (quieter area to reduce distraction); teaching style (demonstrating, questioning, encouraging investigation), resources (outside agencies); use of staff (1-1, child with a partner, small group). The list is endless!

Criteria for success (measurability) can be measured in different ways, but examples could be s/he needs to be successful every day for a week; 90% of the time; 2 out 3 attempts; for 20 minutes; in ten minutes.

Finally, you need to say when the next review period will be. Ususally this is every half-term, but this also depends on the child's level of development, and the targets you have set.

To summarise all this, you might want to set out four columns, with the headings Performance statement or target, Strategies, Criteria for Success, and Outcome (is it achieved, and what will the child do next) Most people advise that 3 targets are the most we should use.

Hope this helps, and you get that funding! :)

I have had very little specific SEN training (almost none) but my SENCO has. As such should she be able to write an IEP for a child with lang problems. I would of thought yes, but she wants to wait until the area senco visits to ask her to do it. Surely she could come up with something simple for us to work on, 10 min games or activities where speech is a big part? :o

Hi Rea, in my area the area sencos are not allowed to write a childs iep. They can only advise us on the final iep. If your senco has not written an iep before maybe she just lacks confidence. In my personal opinion the senco should be able to help you with games linked to speech and language if she/he had the training.

Here are some targets I have used in the past for different children I don't know if the are appropriate to your child but it might give you an idea, better to have something in place until you can get some help from Speech therapy service.

Area of need / concern

Targets to be reached

Strategies / resources to be used

Review outcomes / performance indicators

These are the headings I use.

IEP_Targets.doc

Hi Sue

Your area senco should have a fomat for an IEP with the monitoring and review formats. The area senco should help you and the senco in your setting to write the IEP,especilly if it is your first on. If you think that the child may need a statement which uaually brings funding then you need to show that you have tried to support the child within the normal routine of the setting.

Hi Sue,

I'm another Sue. I'm an Area Senco and I found a useful site about writing IEP's. I copied the website address and although it's a long one I think you will find it useful. It covers from Early years to Secondary school. I just took the bits that were applicable to Early Years. See attachment

The site is:

http://www.shropshireonline.gov.uk/sen.nsf...6;file/IEPs.pdf

Hope it is useful

Sue H

IEPs.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)