Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Little Red Hen

Hi - next week we are going to have a focus on the little red hen - want to use the actions that go with the story as Pie Corbett does in the DVD about reading. Have loads of CLLD and K&U ideas but am stuck on PRSN - really we need to keep moving on number and calculating skills as we seem to be on a roll now! Any ideas I am really struggling?

Ta ems

Focusing on number and calculating - could you suggest making sandwiches using the bread that little red hen made? If each sandwich takes two slices of bread - how many slices would she need if she made a sandwich for each of her friends? What if they all had two sandwiches? Get a loaf of bread and count out the number of slices - how many sandwiches could she make with one loaf. Lots of opps for differentiating the task according to the ability of the children. The children could count out enough bread to make sandwiches for their own group etc, you could extend by having a party, counting out enough cups of juice, biscuits etc.

Harricroft

Focusing on number and calculating - could you suggest making sandwiches using the bread that little red hen made?

That is a fab idea thank you!

One of my staff has made some fab recipe cards for baking before where everything was measured as multiple of the same thing, such as a cup. This has worked really well for counting in recipes and you could use this to make bread. We did it for the Little Red Hen and I explained to the children the bread had to rise until the next day when I, I must admit, substituted their mixture with some bread dough I made at home! The bread worked really well and the children loved the smell of it and taking hme their own bread for lunch.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)