Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Peers Early Education Partnership (peep) Training

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

I have just returned from a two day PEEP training course in Oxford so that we can develop our provision of PEEP groups at our Centre.

For those of you who haven't come across it before, PEEP is an early learning intervention programme, first developed and piloted in 1995 in a disadvantaged area of Oxford, with the aim of contributing towards improving the life chances of children. The framework of the programme is based on the implications of research findings - that the first years of a child's life are crucial for later development and that the key role of adults who care for the child during those years must be affirmed and supported. It supports parents and carers in their role as the first educators of their children and aims to promote their awareness of children's very early learning and development through making the most of everyday activities and interactions.

The training course enables practitioners to set up their own PEEP groups, of which there are MANY possible variations, using the basic framework and principles. I found the whole course inspiring and am completely fired up to take it back to my Children's Centre and develop our exisiting one group further.

If you want any more information, here's a link to the PEEP website...or ask me more questions! If you get the opportunity to attend the training, GO!

http://www.peep.org.uk/

That sounds really interesting - have to confess that sad person as I am I enjoy most training - but always good to have a recommendation!

Isn't great when you feel inspired and can see that you can make a difference with the new knowledge.

Sunnyday

we have adapted PEEP and our group is called chatter matters. we have songs we sing, explain the benefits to parents. do an activity again sharing why these are so important for children's development then Finnish the session with songs using instruments and scarves. the aim of our group is other then speech and language but interaction between parent and child.

Hi Wolfie glad to hear you enjoyed and were inspired by the PEEP training. I am just sending out fliers to launch my PEEP under 1's group. I have been wanting to get a group going for some time and now I can do it!

You have my details to email me I think if you want more info. My colleague is now doing 2 groups. She runs an under 1's and a 1-2's. they are separate as the materials target different things as you now know.

She does have some children come to the group who are siblings . THis can cause problems if your room isn't big enough to accomodate them being more mobile.

You can do mixed groups I know but depends on the room you will use, if you have a member of staff to support you, the families who come, the age range of the children, their developmental stage etc so does need careful consideration. I am trying to target first time mums - or mums with children who are in full time nursery or school so that they can have 1-1 time. I will not have space to accomodate the older children.

let us know how you get on,

:o (no red noses so a red tongue instead)

Guest Wolfie

Thanks for that surfer...I may well be messaging you to pick your brains further! Have you done the practitioner training then? And are you considering doing the follow up portfolio in order to gain credits towards an MA?

I did the 2 day training that you have just done some time ago before I got my C C teacher post. Not thought about the accreditation before as I haven't started the group yet but maybe something for the future. You are welcome to get in touch.

Forgot to say - once you have the password the website is pretty good too- all the materials are downlaodable from the practitioner area.

i run a baby chatter matters and a toddler group. we are currently setting up a toddler+ session run with our speech therapist.

our vision is to offer it universally to all babies and identify families who may need extra support. a lot of our referrals come from health visitors.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)