Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Focus Activity/lesson Structure?

Just out of interest, how many of you adopt an introduction, main part and then a plenary as the structure for your focus activity?

No, we don't. I might introduce it at the end of the previous day "tomorrow we're going to be ....." but that's it. The 'focus activity' is very relaxed, children come to do it, or not as they wish

Well, If I've understood correctly, sort of.

I introduce the activity during carpet time before the children go off to play and remind them of learning objectives and discussed success criteria during their participation. Dependent on the grouping for the activity we discuss their experience in groups, pairs or individually. It's all pretty unthreatening, but it encourages children to begin to be reflective and take ownership of their learning. Is this what you meant?

Sue

PS, I'm in the Pre-school room of a private day nursery.

No we dont

we may inform the children of a particualr activity but they are free to access it or not

we may recall what children have done at the end of the morning or throughout the session but this is done with individual children or small groups at story time

Hi,

An interesting one! I will usually introduce the activity on the carpet - sometimes this can be as simple as telling what we will be doing and why. I also try to have an example ready if they are making something. Sometimes I will re-read a story or sing a rhyme or watch a video which is linked to the activity and then introduce what we are doing. We always gather together at the end of the session and I sometimes use this time to show what some children have done (CI and Focused activity) or talk to the children about what they have been doing/learning and what we will be doing tomorrow.

A question for those who tell the children the learning objective and success criteria: how do you actually phrase this in 'child-speak?' I often feel like I'm talking adult-jargon to them and not sure they really understand what I mean??

Thanks

Green Hippo

First, this isn't a 'taught' thing, it's an activity that is presented in a context reflecting interests that have been shown by the children (we have a Child-initiated approach to all of our practice), within which specific skills are targeted.

We say things like 'Today we are going to be getting clever at....' the success criteria will be something like 'I will know how clever you've become because...' and/or 'you will know you're cleverer (or just clever) because...', usually followed by things like 'you can tell me/your friends' or 'I can see what you've done/ you have told me why you did it'.

We use signs and symbols cards to reinforce this and the children have become very good at talking their activities through, at whatever level is appropriate for them. (where necessary with staff who are bilingual - what a luxury!)

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)