Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspirational Ideas For Independent Fine Motor Act

I don't know about anyone else but by the the time I've exhausted all my books and ideas I've picked up along the way I still need more variety when it comes to independent or chilid initiated activities. has anyone got any different, fun ideas. I already use tracing, threading, large tongs to pick up objects, plastic nuts and bolts, play dough, sand, weaving dot to dots. If you have any different ideas I'd be really glad to hear from you. Emma

Child initiated activities are just that, thought up by the child not the adults. What is important is to provide stimulus and an environment that allows children to have access to all the equipment, tools and things they need.

Having as much available as possible allows children to develop thier play. At first the children explore, make a mess and get everything out, but bit by bit the level of play develops as they get bored with just messing around and begin to spend more time playing in a more structured way. That is when out own observations and interventions become important, adding to what they are doing or showing interest and asking questions which extend what they are doing. i will atempt to add the planning for one area of my classroom to show what i mean.

Construction.doc

Welcome to the site Emma.

There was a recent discussion on teaching children to write which might be of use to you. I'm ashamed to say, even as a Mega member :D I don't know how to put a link in :o , but if you look in Observation, Assessment and Planning and find the topic 'Teaching children to write' there are some lovely ideas, including some super ones about clothes pegs.

Hope this helps,

Harricroft

Cheers :D Jacqui

your planning sheet for continous provison was excellent. :( So good tat i have altered some of the provisons etc laminated it and stuck it in the area. This way everyone goind there can see what and why chidlren are doing and will not need my prompting to 'join in'. :o

PS do you have similar planning sheets for other area. Could we perhaps glance at them. They say copying is the best form of flattery!!. xD

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently successfully introduced a "Treasure Hunt Tray".

It consists of a green gardeners tray, filled with a variety of substances. Most recently we have had pine cones and pumkin seeds.

Amongst the cones and seeds there are various pieces of treasure that the children have to find and remove using a variety of equipment. Each child picked up a treasure basket and gathered what they wanted. They were then invited to make a treasure picture by sticking their finds onto paper etc. Those that didn't want to could put their treasure in a sandwich bag to keep for later.

Our treasures include rice and pulses, sequins of various shapes, ribbon, plastic nuggets, pasta shapes (most recently stars)tiny bugs and insects (occasionally, and whwnever I buy them, at no cost to the nursery) pieces of foil, shiny paper and cellophane.

We provide tongs, tweezers, sieves, pouring wheels, spoons and bowls.

The children love it, each one produces an original treasure "Map".

It's only one activity but you can vary the resaources to link to the topic, leaves for autumn, pom poms, lolly sticks and so on.

Jan

We have an activity that always goes down well - I don't know if this is the sort of thing you had in mind? We put out old birthday or Christmas cards, hole punches, scissors (including wavy ones) , treasury tags, bits of wool and ribbon of various lengths, paperclips, sellotape and glue. The children can use the above to make whatever they like. Some use the tools to make holes and then thread the wool through, others like experimenting with different ways to join and fasten together the cards, others use their imagination and there seems to be so much scope for making different things with those materials. Each child can take the activity in their own direction.

Carolyn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)