Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adopted Children In Preschool

caro

Hi everyone - Can anyone suggest stories or other resources that deal with adoption for preschool age children? We would like to support a family with a newly adopted child but don't know of anything suitable. (And apologies for the layout but one of my own children broke the "return" key!) Caro

There are a number of books available for preschool aged children - we have two and I'm racking my brains now trying to remember what they are called!!!!!!!

One is something to do with a Koala, but of course it's Friday so my brain has clocked off.

Would your local development worker be able to source some info, or the child's social worker? In what way are you wanting to support more than you would any child - are there some additional problems that the child has?

Amazon has a lot of books available

Thanks for the quick reply Cait. Mum is a little concerned as there will be some contact with the birth mother soon and we wanted to be prepared in case it raises questions from the child. The child has been great so far, but like I say we just thought if we had stories to turn to it might help. The parents have been given some books but they are mainly for older children and only have one suitable for their child. I would appreciate the titles of your books when you can check them out, if you recommend them. We are not doing anything extra, we would be getting out new baby books or moving house stories, if that was what the child was experiencing, we just haven't needed adoption stories before. Caro

It was A koala for Katie, and A Blessing from Above - both of which are on that Amazon link I sent.

We had an adopted child 2 years ago who came with lots of problems - we were not allowed to take her photo for one! She had been removed from her birth family and they mustn't know where she'd gone to. As they are only about 35 miles away, there was the risk that they could find her from a casually shown photo. It was really hard at first, but we did get used to it. I know where you are going with this, and I hope you don't have the problems that we had, as she'd been abused and the strangest things would make her almost hysterical. We got some info from Social Services from 'Mum'

Thanks again, Cait. i did try Amazon earlier but there were so many its hard to know where to start! i think I will get ordering - if they're not needed this time they probably will be in the future, and it would be good for the others too to have stories about different types of family. Caro