Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numeracy Planning

Hi there

Im teaching reception for the first time and finding the planning challenging.

What do people follow for their numeracy sessions? Do people use numeracy strategy or another scheme?

Any feedback would be helpful

Thanks

Hi Shootingstar,

Have you looked on the hamilton trust site http://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk/ (think that's the right address). From here you can get onto the Ginn website and access their Abacus planning for Reception. I adapt this, but think some of the activities are good and lots of play based ideas. I would say it's definitely worth a look as a starting point at least.

Harricroft

I do generally use the N.S but Hamalton trust site has the aabacus planning which is useful... also the book 100 maths lessons for reception is worth buying.

Gives some good outline for lessons and ideas for practical actiivities... Not on eto follow completley as it is written but gives good guidance.

I used to do 5 numeracy sessions a week, 3 number based, 2 shape,space and measure based... but have decided not to work that way this year with two maths mornings and two literacy mornings and 1 combined skills morning.

What do others do?

L

I do one short focused whole group numeracy session each day. This could be a number ryhyme, counting activities, fans, shape game, time, measures etc.and I try to make this time interactive and also to encourage the children to think and talk about problem solving. Then maths is covered during continuous provision and self-chosen activites, as well as some directed activities such as pattern making, writing numerals in foam etc. or playing a maths game. Planning will include where the staff are during free-flow and group times which may be in the water or Mathematics area supporting mathematical concepts in the water/ sand, small world and role play. For example we are setting up a hospital next week following work on safety for bonfire night and the School Health Advisor is coming in on Monday to do handwashing and talk about her role and school medicals. As part of the hospital play we will be measuring and weighing children and they will find ways of recording this.

as the year goes on the children will do more whole group and small group mathematical activities.

Hi

I have been planning some math's activities in the nursery setting where I work with the help of 'MiniMaths 1' & 'MiniMaths 2' by Kim Connor.

Each book is divided into 6 chapters, each containing 12 activities covering a range of mathematical experiences. Each activity page list the ELG's and suggestions as to how to extend the activity etc.

Some really nice stuff in them :D

Sue

Thanks everyone I'm off to the Hamilton website.

We do 15 mins mental and oral and 10 mins directed teaching each day.

The group activities rotate literacy on monday, numeracy on tues and so on.But we also do 30 mins big book and phonics each day.

• 3 weeks later...

The Numeracy Strategy have produced a pack (including a video) of 'Mathematical activities for the Foundation Stage'. You can get it free: tel 0845 60 222 60, ref: DfES 0187/2002.

Another good publication is 'Starting Out, Foundation Stage Mathematics' by BEAM.

Hi shootingstar, Angela J is right about the 'mathematical activities for the foundation stage' Im a reception teacher and have used some of these practical activities and they have worked really well. You can download it from the web as well as ordering it i hope the link works maths activities :o

I have been in contact with the DfEs again today and they have told me that the "Mathmatical Activities for the Foundation Stage" pack, that was mentioned here earlier, is no longer available. (Ref 0187/2002) :o

They said it might be reprinted again but there was no other information on their computer to confirm this.

Sue J

The DfES told me the same thing about the mathematics pack and then this week I received 2! :o I don't know if it's the full pack or not, but it consistes of a book for Reception and a book for Nursery plus a short video and DVD. If it's any help, the contents of the books are available to download from the DfES website.

Fox :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)