Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cookery Book Idea As Fundraiser

In order to address a real financial need I have come up with the idea of producing a Children's Cookery Book' and inviting parents, members of community, local MP, Vicar, dignitories, Head Teachers, Reception Teachers etc to submit a favourite recipe for our book. It might help raise much needed funds and has the potential to appeal to a wider audience than our normal in-house fundraisers.

I might include a section on healthy eating so as to meet the wider political agenda around child obesity! Oh, of course, and one on multicultural recipes, although we do serve a primarily white, english community.....

My question to you is, what recipe would you send in and why. Please could you let me know if you are happy for your recipe to be included. Including settings from around the country would really be something to wave under Mrs Ofsted's nose eh?

I'm really excited to get my teeth into this idea and can't wait for your replies!

(By the way, I've no objection to you pinching the idea if you think it would work for your setting too x)

PS Might write to Ed Balls too!!!!!!

Edited by Guest

Marmite potatoes...............................even people who loathe marmite, love these!!

take some new potatoes and boil them in their skins until just soft.

Then, in a wok, or large frying pan, mix together a large knob of butter, a big dollop of marmite and a good splosh of hot water.............you need it to be a good coating consistency ...........................add the potatoes and put the pan over a low heat.Stir until the suds are really well coated and soaking up the mixture.Serve immediately if you can't wait,but they will also keep very well if you put them in a warm oven, covered in foil.yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hi LJW - there was an article yesterday on radio five live about the best school deserts - and whilst people are beginning to use more freshing ingrediants and seasonal - I would add to my best "butterscotch tart" and of course jam tart & custard - sometimes the simpler the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck with this we cook in our setting every week from soup to tarts, to cakes etc all areas of learning are covered in cooking and all of the kids love it.

:o ...Some years ago we wanted to do this as a Pre-school Learning Alliance area fund raiser, using recipes submitted by pre-schools and nurseries in the area. We were stopped, I can't remember who by though, because if one of our recipes poisoned anyone we could have been sued. I suppose all these celebrity chefs must gets theirs tested somehow!! Just thought I would mention this and give you something to consider.
Hi LJW - there was an article yesterday on radio five live about the best school deserts - and whilst people are beginning to use more freshing ingrediants and seasonal - I would add to my best "butterscotch tart" and of course jam tart & custard - sometimes the simpler the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck with this we cook in our setting every week from soup to tarts, to cakes etc all areas of learning are covered in cooking and all of the kids love it.

I will run with the disclaimer idea, thank you for the advice! We won't be able to do anything soon, LOL!

The idea is really for family-friendly foods, bit for the kids to cook with mum, family favourites etc. Anything and everything. I guess if there are too many recipes we could have a sequel!

Ooh, dot, butterscotch tart sounds fab - do post the recipe. Maybe we should have a nostalgic section like our favourite school foods (if there are any..... I always loved the puds personally!)

Getting carried away now, how about a no-bake section and I do think putting in a no-eat bit with playdough type recipes in is a good idea!

When my girls were at junior school the cooks there wrote a book of all the dinners they made, ie, cowboy pie, birdseed and custard, and sold it to parents. The local book shop also sold it.

Went down a treat, although I don't think any of us mums made the meals as well as the school cooks :o

jackie.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)