Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calling All Childminders

:o calling all childminders!!! anybody on here that feels they have been unfairly graded or penalised for trying to accomodate to both child and parents needs??

i am currently being investigated due to over lapping slightly on my numbers for an hour at the most 4 days a week occasionally.i am being graded in my ofsted report as inadequate and may have to lose some of my children.just wanted feedback as to how many other people have had similar experiences.this has made me ill and i'm now doubting my duty to my parents and kids.

i am aiming to collect as many names as poss to question the whole childminding system.anybody with any views i'd love to hear from you and i will try to get some sort of campaign going.my kids are my world, i love them to death and have had my oldest for 8.5 years.Doesnt this mean something??? not in ofsteds eyes! lets get our rights as chilminders set in stone and bring back the quality of kids being looked after and not by paperwork!!!!!!!

if you'd like to email me im on ****************.

your help is greatly needed to support this.xxxx

Edited by Guest
To remove email address - please use private messaging on the forum

:o calling all childminders!!! anybody on here that feels they have been unfairly graded or penalised for trying to accomodate to both child and parents needs??

i am currently being investigated due to over lapping slightly on my numbers for an hour at the most 4 days a week occasionally.i am being graded in my ofsted report as inadequate and may have to lose some of my children.just wanted feedback as to how many other people have had similar experiences.this has made me ill and i'm now doubting my duty to my parents and kids.

i am aiming to collect as many names as poss to question the whole childminding system.anybody with any views i'd love to hear from you and i will try to get some sort of campaign going.my kids are my world, i love them to death and have had my oldest for 8.5 years.Doesnt this mean something??? not in ofsteds eyes! lets get our rights as chilminders set in stone and bring back the quality of kids being looked after and not by paperwork!!!!!!!

if you'd like to email me im on **********.

your help is greatly needed to support this.xxxx

hi, im not a childminder but would like to offer you my support, i had a really negative inspector and report the beginning of sept. she was over zealous and the report didnt reflect the hard work and love for the children, they dont realise the impact they could cause luckily parents were supportive and i challenged the report- the inspector was investigated and lots of comments revoked, dont give up , we all know you have the best interests of the children and parents at heart good luck, im sure some childminders will be along soon jx

hi, im not a childminder but would like to offer you my support, i had a really negative inspector and report the beginning of sept. she was over zealous and the report didnt reflect the hard work and love for the children, they dont realise the impact they could cause luckily parents were supportive and i challenged the report- the inspector was investigated and lots of comments revoked, dont give up , we all know you have the best interests of the children and parents at heart good luck, im sure some childminders will be along soon jx

thank you jaycooks for your kind comments.xx

I'm in two minds on this one as as you said in a different post you have been going over your ratios for about a year and you yourself said that it was only for 1 hour maybe 4 times a week. If when this had first happened you had contacted OFSTED they proberly would have given you a variation for these times especially as it was only an hour (I had a variation for 5hours in one day added onto mine in the past).

About them grading you inadaquate I don't think that this should be your overall outcome. I'm not quite sure under what areas they do grade now but been inadaquate in what ever area this fits into as you did not stick to what was stated in your registration and it was happening for a long time on a regular basic. Yes we love the children and get to know the families really well and I have when for example a relative was in hospital do over my ratios to help let the parents visit without the child but this was a one of for a few hours.

I know your grade can really be effected by who you get to come and inspect you as I know a childminder who complained as when the inspector went though her findings at the end of the inspection she stated that she doesn't give childminders outstandings (she was graded good in all 5 areas). She put in a complaint as why shouldn't we be able t get that grade if it is there. She was re inspected a few months later and got 2 outstandings and 3 goods! So no the system isn't really fair but I think who ever inspected you would have pulled you up on being over ratio!

Sorry if this seems harsh but you could have stopped it from happening

I am not sure what you are appealing against.

You say you are registered for 4 children under 8 years, but have had 6. That would mean that you have been 2 over.

I have been asked by parents to have children extra, but have refused if it would mean I would be over my permitted number. I turned a parent down recently as it would mean being 1 over for 30 minutes one day a week.

The Ofsted Inspector was only doing her job.

I'm really torn over this :o

However good your intentions, you WERE over your ratios without consulting Ofsted.

I don't doubt that you were trying to help the parents and the children, and I'm sure you do love each and every one of the children you look after.

The fact remains though that, because you were over your ratio, your public liability insurance was also affected.

A letter to Ofsted putting all your feelings, comments and reasons for the breach of standards would be my advice, but I don't think I can put my support to your campaign.

I strongly believe that identifying breaches such as this is exactly what Ofsted should be doing.

Nona

Whilst I have every sympathy for you, you have broken the terms of your registration by going over your numbers and Ofsted take that very seriously as you have found out.

By going over your numbers you also invalidated your insurance as well.

We can only go over our numbers in a genuine emergency. We have the opportunity to apply for a variation if its going to be a regular thing.

As self employed people - we do EVERYTHING and therefore the buck stops with us to ensure that we do the right thing, and to ensure that we remain professional at all times we need to be on the ball. The rules are there to protect us as well as the children. The terms and conditions of our registration are what we need to be working within.

It must be extremely upsetting for you but you are being given the chance to make it right, rather than Mrs Ofsted coming down all heavy handed and de-registering you, I am guessing its an inadequate 1 you have been given - a willing to improve.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, firstly I really sympathise with you as I had a really bad inspection once, she was negative as soon as she walked in the door.

A friend of mine had a similar problem about three years ago and she had inadequate grading and still has it, however in her case it has not stopped families coming to her, she has remained fully employed, although I think parents are begininng to look at ofsted gradings a bit more, parents seem more interested in references, experience and meeting children looked after long term as testiment to your ability to give their child the care that they are looking for.

It is too late to judge or wish things were different, it is done, I would suggest that you move forward, put a letter to ofsted, appealing the grade, and request the variation in order that you are able to provide continuity of care to the existing families, who presumably are happy with you, admit the error on your part and put forward the case for your experience, your ability to maintain a sustainable business with a negative grading and detail as support any qualifications/training that you may have.

Good luck

Deb

Guest jane707

I am sorry that you feel badly done to. That must be hard.

Are you able to apply for a variation to cover you for the future?

Guest Agyness

Is there not a childminder network in your area so that you could employ an extra hand when required?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)