Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

3d Shape

Hiya, I wonder if anyone can help please?

I have a mixed age class, (YR/1/2, 10 of each) and have an interview for a straight foundation stage class in another school in a couple of weeks :o . The head is coming to observe me on Wednesday and I imagine wants to see brilliant stuff going on with YR.

Y1/2 are on 3D shape this week and I just wondered if anyone has any unusual ideas for ways of weaving this into the CP areas for Y1 and upper YR group who are beginning to access more and more of the Y1 activities, or to hit the basic Shape and Space ELGs for YR?

Have a few ideas like painting faces and printing with them, sorting which shapes roll downhill/which don't, copying pictures by building the matching model, etc., trying to get a group to make a giant cube out of the large construction blocks and the usual modelling etc. but nothing that will set the world alight.

Thanks,

Tracy :)

How about drraw string bags with 3d shapes in for the children to guess the shape?

Or blindfold the children and ask them to try a build a tower from a selection of shapes; great for discussion about how some shapes work and others don't. A few children could have cameras to take photos so the blindfolded children could see how far they got before the towers fell down.

HelenP

There's a great activity using a balloon to show how flat shapes become fat (solid) shapes.

don't remember where the link is but do a search and it will come up..... it was about a year ago.

Absolutely brilliant.

what about a selection of 3d shapes and matching silhoettes of the shapes for the children to play a range of matching and sorting games possibly a feely bag match the shape to the silhouette.

....or finding the 3D shapes in everyday objects (shame its not christmas you could of made christmas presents)

Just to say thanks again - it seemed to go OK - had my reception focus group doing the blindfold towers and that went brilliantly. Interview next week - fingers crossed!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)