Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Three Little Pigs

Making the houses from cardboard boxes; sticking straw , lolly sticks, and painting the bricks onto them.

Making masks from paper plates and sticking on a length of dowel so that the children can act out the story (outside is great with huge boxes to represent the different houses)

If you can get hold of a songbook/storybook called "Three Singing Pigs", it has the story outlined with ideas for sound effects and songs using familiar tunes. My favourite, to the tune of "Knees up Mother Brown" is:

Running down the road,

Running down the road,

Three little pigs on a big adventure,

Running down the road!

I think it's published by A&C Black.

Write a letter to the wolf asking him to leave you alone! "If you're hungry you can......" etc.

Just a quick word of warning on this one, we werent "allowed" to do this in the lasy school I worked in due to our Muslim population. If you think you need to check school policy but all the ideas Helen has given you are lovely! :D

Guest Sycamore

we did the singing pigs song and the children loved it.

(see above)

I do a science experiment, we look at the straw and the sticks amd the bricks and we describe them and build houses from them, (well we cover the pig with straw and sticks!) and then we predict what might happen, using vocab like strong, hard, safe, etc and then I turn on the hairdyer and we have a giggle as the straw goes everywhere!! (Hoover to the rescue!)

Lots of role play, the home corner is a pig house and a big sign put up saying No Wolves Allowed.

We read lots of versions and discuss the differences.

A start I hope.

There's also a book called Beware the Bears, which is about Goldilocks taking her revenge on the 3 bears (she trashes their house) only to discover at the end that it isn't the 3 bears' house after all...

Hi im a new member i recently read the 3 pigs and we did lots of role play, we then read 'The true story of the 3 little pigs' which tells the story from the wolfs' point of view which let to discussions that there are always two sides to a story! We also did hot seating which was fantastic as the children really explored the characters - when asked why he went to the pigs house one child (who became the wolf on the hot seat) said it was because he wanted to make friends. I find once the children are used to 'hot seating' it becomes a great tool for developing their questioning skills. You probably already had these ideas but hope they help. :D

If you want a story from somebody elses point of view have you seen 'Beware of the Bears'? The 3 bears go to goldilocks house and wreck it and then she comes home and...big surprise. Theres another one called 'voices in the park' I think it's by Anthony Browne, it tells of the time in the park but by 4 different people, each with their own views. There is also another book/tape 'There's a wolf in my pudding', I remember it was well loved by my now 11 year old. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)