Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help-

Guest Sycamore

Guest Sycamore

Hi

I have been on courses, read books, devised timetables etc but still can't do the whole inside-outside areas.

I am fine on a warm sunny day when there is no rain forecast, but when the rain comes down with seconds notice and it is blooming chilly out there, what do you all do?

I have set out the outdoor area on numerous occasions and suddenly screamed at the children to run indoors, and grab equipment as you go! The sand has to be covered and the pit dragged in, the carpets rolled up before they get soaked, the bricks put away and any dressing up things well what do you do with soaking wet clothes? We all have wellies and coats to do puddle work and spontaneous activities like that, but generally I close the door to the elements and we enjoy the warmth. The parents don't want their children out in the cold either and I have letters and comments about keeping them in as they have a sniffle etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the use of the outside, but surely there are limitations?

I feel guilty if I have no outdoor areas each day. Help please.

Thanks.

I do empathise here. When you discover the answer let me know!

Actually our feeder nurseries had covered areas that they used in inclement weather, setting up under cover, but I didnt have that luxury, nor any shelter from the sun!

If schools were better resourced perhaps we could do it all better?

During the nicer months of the year it's great to have freeflow indoor/outdoor activities but I find at this time of year alot of time is taken up with helping little ones with coats and before long it will be hats and gloves too - then no sooner are we all out and down comes the rain and we all rush in!!

In an ideal world we would have a covered outdoor area but we havent and I think we just have to be realistic and do our best. Today we were 'negotiating pathways' and it should have been 'indoors and outdoors'. The garden was like a mudbath, the paths were wet and the clouds were black so we had great fun negotiating pathways indoors only :o Did the children enjoy it, YES, they all had a great time, did they miss out by not going outside, well maybe yes again but there is always another day when the weather is better! :D

Any chance of raising funds for a cover for your outdoor are? (or Capital Funding?). Also, how about a play house and/or large tent?

Just a thought.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)