Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fao Wolfie Or Other Cc Teachers

Hi Wolfie just wondered if you could give me a bit of advice. I have just this week started as a CC teacher who is also pt in the attached nursery school.

HT has said that I am only to be responsible for learning and development of corporate priority children at cc, but cc manager says I am responsible for all of the children who attend the centre at any time. Who is right as the difference is about 30 children's worth! Thanks

Who is your line manager Mozart?

Was this not discussed at interview or is it not in the job description?

You may need to discuss this with both the HT and the CC manager to clarify and determine the expectation.

Good luck. I can see that you need this sorting, I once turned down a jobshare because of the differing expectations from the head and my would be partner.

Hi Mozart, this is one of the problems with CCs being on school sites Im afraid, there can be some confusion (even disagreements) on your role and how you should use your time.

However, in my view, you are there (as the CC is there) for ALL children and families in your reach area. Not just those who may attend your day care. Not just those who may choose to take up a school place at the school (which was always my biggest gripe). We registered ALL families who walked through the door, and as CC teacher I worked in one way or another with them all, whether it was supporting playworkers in Stay and Play; workng with unplaced school age chidlren; supporting the nursery; or visiting families with our family support worker.

Having said that, there are CC teachers who just teach in the nursery..thats it. Its what I see the role of a CC teacher, but it happens. You will eed to go back to your job description if you have one, and if not try to develop the role as you would like, and leave the CC manager and HT to argue it our amongst themselves. (in my case the CC manager was my line manager and the HT was hers).

However, in my view, you are there (as the CC is there) for ALL children and families in your reach area. Not just those who may attend your day care.

As someone who clearly knows nothing about how children's centres work, I must say that when I read your post I wondered how fair it was that the children who attend the nursery to be excluded from your attention?

And who invented that awful phrase "corporate priority children"? :o

Maz

Hi Mozart! My initial response is that you are there to support and work with ALL the children in the CC, however you come into contact with them - in the nursery, at Stay and Play sessions, etc. I have never come across the term "corporate priority" children and agree with Maz, it's a horrible phrase.

As Mundia says, this difference of opinion between HT and CC Manager is one that needs to be sorted and clarified as soon as possible; the role of the CCT is still very much in the development phase and this has led to a lot of uncertainty and confusion ofr a lot of people. CC Managers are looking for some kind of central guidance which doesn't seem to be forthcoming. As a result, as you have probably alreasdy gathered, every CC is using their teacher differently. For YOUR sake and peace of mind more than anything you need to take the bull by the horns and get agreement on who you will be working with as soon as possible. I do hope it turns out to be all the children or I can see all sorts of squabbles and awkward situations arising!

Let us know how you get on! :o

Thanks all for your support and replies. I shall work with all the children. I have come out of school to really make a difference to families. I shall keep you posted. Thanks again.

You go girl! :o Your role is new to everyone - be assertive and say what you think you should be doing! I've found that that's the best way!

As someone who clearly knows nothing about how children's centres work, I must say that when I read your post I wondered how fair it was that the children who attend the nursery to be excluded from your attention?

And who invented that awful phrase "corporate priority children"? :o

Maz

Sorry Maz, maybe I didn't make any sense. I was trying to say that it wasn't only the nursery children who should get your support, not that they shouldn't get any? Sometimes CCs think the teacher just supports the nursery full stop. I think the role extends to everyone who uses the services. Sorry if I didnt make myself clear.

Mozart, in my experiences of CCs, yes there are a lot of internal politics! No more than you might get in school, but of a different nature beacuse there are so many people coming from different backgrounds.

Dont get me wrong, I had a great experience in a CC and am now based in one, but we did in my last CC, consider printing t shirts that simply read 'We are not a school!' Sometimes school Heads have difficulty grasping that, and when you add to it that sometimes they dont get a choice about having a CC built next to them, it isnt always going to be a smooth ride!

If I had a pound for every time people said to me 'yes but what do you actually DO' I could retire by now!

Guest Wolfie
If I had a pound for every time people said to me 'yes but what do you actually DO' I could retire by now!

Oh! And me! Let's retire together! :o

Sorry Maz, maybe I didn't make any sense.

No, it was me I fear - I should have said "when I read your post, Mozart". Your post gave me more confidence to express what I though, mundia. As you know I have views on most things but I am always wary of expressing them when they fall outside of my field of expertise. No actually, strike that last comment. If I only talked about things I'm expert in I'd never speak! :o

Maz

Hi Mozart hope it is going well and you are starting to settle in. I am still finding myself longing to be back in school, though I am enjoying the job I feel like I have had my right arm cut off!

Bex

Guest Wolfie

Stick with it Bex - from experience I know that it might feel as though it is taking a long time to feel like you're achieveing anything or "making a difference"..... but believe me, you ARE! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)