Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Registers

HI

registers, how do they work for you?

currently we have sigining in sheets for the parents to complete. although a few parents forget. we then have a room register which the staff keep and a whole nursery register (which senior team mark off)where we highlight the child's / staff name when they arrive (currently no process for marking off when they leave, which again i know should be happening.

i need a fool proof way ( you don't know my deputy! LOL) of how to ensure the register is maintained and that children are marked in (and some how marked out) each day.

what do other settings use?.

we are a day nursery, with four rooms, children come and go at different times,

Dawn

Edited by Guest

Hi

We do daily registration at the beginning of each session at which time we put the childs expected time of departure ( just realised I made that sound like public tramsport) so we know whos is going at what time. Then when they leave .we tick them off.

Its okay at the end of full day sessions but those that leave at 12 or 1pm sometimes get forgotton. Overall it works well . Just need to nag the staff to ensure they follow procedures.

Chocoholic

That would be great thanks hayley

hi dawn i could post you a blank register we use it has everything you would possibly need and is ofsted friendly lol they liked it so must be ok . Hayley

:o WE do a register at the beginning of each session. We used to use the pre school learning alliance one but could't fit all our children on so we devised our own one.

We have a typed sheet for each session and list the children who are booked in for that session

We put 2 year olds in a different colour(easier to look for when adding up totals)

Each sheet has lots of columns so one sheet covers the while term ie: Mon Am every mon for that term! Am I making sense?

We write time in individual box if they arrive after register done and highlight and put time in if they leave early.

at the bottom of each sheet we show how man 2's nhow many 3's , how many staff and then give a toal numeracy for each sessi on

So basically we have a ring binder with 10 sheets in one for each session of the week and this is a terms register.. .

Ofsted saw this when visiting and said that this was fine!

Oh forgot to say we put s for sick and h for holiday and u if off with no reason.

:( WE do a register at the beginning of each session. We used to use the pre school learning alliance one but could't fit all our children on so we devised our own one.

We have a typed sheet for each session and list the children who are booked in for that session

We put 2 year olds in a different colour(easier to look for when adding up totals)

Each sheet has lots of columns so one sheet covers the while term ie: Mon Am every mon for that term! Am I making sense?

We write time in individual box if they arrive after register done and highlight and put time in if they leave early.

at the bottom of each sheet we show how man 2's nhow many 3's , how many staff and then give a toal numeracy for each sessi on

So basically we have a ring binder with 10 sheets in one for each session of the week and this is a terms register.. .

Oh forgot to say we put s for sick and h for holiday and u if off with no reason.

Do we work in the same place?????? :oxD:(:(

we do our own

it is daily one with core time on it for arrival and end

it has the children names on it that are due in on that day

it also includes staff

i write any sick, hols in red and enter any time of arrival or leaving if it is outside the core time

i do it about 5 - 10 mins after the children have arrived and i have greeted the parents

[o basically we have a ring binder with 10 sheets in one for each session of the week and this is a terms register.. .

Well this is exactly what we have (except we have five sessions per sheet) and for the same reasons, PSLA one just was no longer big enough and I'm just not prepared to handwrite the names & info every half term. Anyway, I digress as the last time Ofsted were in (year ago) they said it was fine but couldn't be in a loose leafed format! Then went into a load of spiel about how same settings had denied having children in on certain days & then had 'mysteriously lost' that days page! Honestly I was so mad, argued and argued but she wouldn't have it- even came back the next day and said her manager had said no as well. Of course she went to great pains to point out that in no way was she suggesting that we would 'lose' a days register. In fact having a register and a visitors book in a fixed leaf format was made one of our recommendations. Stupid, stupid and just another example of inspectors doing different things for different settings. However I have got round this by still typing it up once a year, amending and printing as required and then sticking into a hardback book.

I was under the impression that marking children & staff in & out was a legal requirement?

HI

registers, how do they work for you?

currently we have sigining in sheets for the parents to complete. although a few parents forget. we then have a room register which the staff keep and a whole nursery register (which senior team mark off)where we highlight the child's / staff name when they arrive (currently no process for marking off when they leave, which again i know should be happening.

i need a fool proof way ( you don't know my deputy! LOL) of how to ensure the register is maintained and that children are marked in (and some how marked out) each day.

what do other settings use?.

we are a day nursery, with four rooms, children come and go at different times,

Dawn

Like many things, if people forget, you've got a problem. You could have an electronic system but they're fiendishly expensive and, for the finger print based ones, they don't like children under five. You can have myriad forms and all sorts of systems but if people forget.... So, you have to manage. Good management means that the pretty basic Ofsted requirements of time in and time out can be achieved. In our case, the teacher on register duty has to fax me the form at the end of the session, which is another prompt for her to ensure it's completed properly. Be a rotweiler!! Remember, if you have a fire, it's possible that the register will be the only source of information as to who is in the building. If your deputy isn't up to it, either re-train her or appoint someone else

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)