Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Felxibility..how Do You Manage

Hi all

Well just wanted views from both managers and staff on flexibility of working.

Eg I currently work 2 mornings per week(Thurs/fri) at my pre-school and job share with another assistant who does 3 mornings (mon-wed). There is also deputy (when we manage to keep one!) and supervisor both do 5 mornings per week. This is all woked out down to numbers of children attending but cant have less than 3 staff in per day (which it is currently). Now numbers look like increasing...good news...and commitee have asked me and job share to increase our days after easter. But then this will not be on our current contracts as it may not be permanent ie as soon as numbers drop off then we have to drop our days. I would love to work there 5 mornings too but I also have my main job (ok only working at nights at sainsburys but it is my main wage). Now my little boy is at school i would like to give up sainsburys and get my life at nights and weekend back! I need permananet work and so cant really take on the extra days at pre-school if i manage to find a day time job mon-wed.

So staff how do you feel being totally felxible? managers how do you get flexibility from your staff?

I can only do extra at the moment because I work at nights but I am looking for other employment to fit in around my current 2 days at pre-school. Would be brill if i could work at another pre-school but all wanting qualifications (currently doing diploma in pre-school practice). It would then mean the pre-school would have to hire more staff on a temporary basis to do the extra sessions...all very confusing and would they manage to get anyone (what with our history of getting a deputy!)

Interested in your thoughts (or advice for me!!)

ummm -dont really know how to answer.

when our numbers increased we incresed staffs sessions (those that wanted extra) and years on they are still doing those sessions!

i suppose if you know it is only going to be temporary then staff need to know its for a certain period of time - and if happy to do it will do......

sorry not much help :o

Can you work out why the numbers have increased? If so, you might be able to make an educated guess as to whether they will stay at this increased level. Have you advertised more? Had a great Ofsted report? Has another setting closed in your area and therefore you are gaining their children? Any of these reasons might indicate that your numbers may stay up, and therefore your increased hours might be permanent. :o

not an easy one this.... in our case all staff were on a flexible hours contract , and anyone can lose hours at any time! This included me as manager, as I shared days with deputy, possible because all staff level 3. Allowed me paperwork time at home which they paid.

we just increased staff hours according to need and reduced them the same...

But we did have a note of other jobs and ensured any increased hours allowed for that...

so we knew that 1 could not work Tuesday morning, another not Tuesday afternoon, another could do no afternoons, etc.

If in summer term we needed extra help we had someone on a fixed 1 term contract or number of weeks... but this could be a mum or parent , unqualified, who was willing to do just 1 term.

we felt that if we were flexible accommodating other jobs staff were more willing to 'go the extra mile' for us.

think it has to be your decision on if you take the extra hours, classing them as overtime, letting them know that if they cannot guarantee the extra hours in the future you are looking for a daytime job so will / may have to stop doing them, but that you will give them xxxx notice, showing you are willing and really want the hours but that you also need more guaranteed hours than they can currently offer.

Inge

Hi all

Yes, Inge thats exactly what I have said to them. Can do the extra days at the moment until I find something else. As for why number going up..no idea! None of those reasons. Had enquiries from 4 others and currently full. Mind you the pre-school is not in good finance situation at all. Hence the reason they have waitied for 4 extra children before considering getting in more staff. Deputy job is still iffy. Our current one is going soon (just waiting for date) so will have to advertise again....so it will all boil down to how quick we can replace her. Agency costs have crippled us this last year and I know we cannot afford them for very long again. Must admit this is one reason why I dont want to give up sainsbury to work full time here due to uncertainty. I had asked chair to speak to staff about this and she has said we are ok (however, have heard from others that in fact we are not!). Not good.

Keeping my eye out for other things.

hi have no real answer for you but i work evenings at sainsbury too and manage my pre-school 4 mornings paper work in afternoon and fit in somewhere 3 children and o yes a husband!!!

god knows how but have to as i love my pre-school but only mornings and need the money

I am lucky my staff are flexible they have all upped days when needed and covered as required bless them . they all work part time which leaves me able to work and cover this way.

it is unfortunate that we as pvi have to work this way although i suppose it is no different to other areas of employment. its just that ours only just breaks even and a dip in revenue means you cant hang in for any length of time without making a loss

Hi,

Not sure any of what I have to say is gonna help at all as everyone seems to have good advice, but as a manger I have all new staff on termly contracts and all old staff (over 18months work) on a yearly contract (school year that is) My staff can changge their days within their contract as long as they give me 1/2 terms notice so I can get cover. Obviously they can not increase days when they want as unfortunately we dont have the money!! but when a spare day comes up for whatever reason I will let all staff know and they can approach me if they want anotherday.

If you are doing your DPP i thought you could count as being a qualified member as when I was doing mine, Ofsted were happy that was enough. Maybe this has changed????? anyone?????

x

Hi,

If you are doing your DPP i thought you could count as being a qualified member as when I was doing mine, Ofsted were happy that was enough. Maybe this has changed????? anyone?????

x

since EYFS 'working towards ' a qualification has not been enough, one of those rule changes which has caused no end of problems all round.. (particularly for Marley )

Inge

Edited by Inge

Hi,

Not sure any of what I have to say is gonna help at all as everyone seems to have good advice, but as a manger I have all new staff on termly contracts and all old staff (over 18months work) on a yearly contract (school year that is) My staff can changge their days within their contract as long as they give me 1/2 terms notice so I can get cover. Obviously they can not increase days when they want as unfortunately we dont have the money!! but when a spare day comes up for whatever reason I will let all staff know and they can approach me if they want anotherday.

x

Tell me about it! Would have been so much easier last year! Ho-hum :o

Just looking through my eyfs guidance

staff/ students and volunteers over the age of 17 can be included in the ratios if manager feels that they are competant and are on a long term placement

so not students that are doing afew weeks with you but would you include them ? because i would not as you dont know them

Just looking through my eyfs guidance

staff/ students and volunteers over the age of 17 can be included in the ratios if manager feels that they are competant and are on a long term placement

so not students that are doing afew weeks with you but would you include them ? because i would not as you dont know them

We have a student with us at the moment..dont include her in the ratios as not sure if she is ever going to turn up! Plus she is not very experienced. I was a member of staff before being a student so have been included in the ratios.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)