Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Before And After School Childminders.

I used to do this when I very first started childminding when my daughter was a baby. I didn't do anything too structured with them as they had been at school all day. We would have snack than they could do free play. The pc went down well with all of them but I did introduce a timed system for this as some of the bos would be on it all evening! The timer was set when the had started the game they wanted and went of after 30 minutes unless they had come off before hand (didn't often happen with the boys though!!). We also went over to the park, they could go in the garden, one of the girls loved art and craft so I used to have a few ideas up my sleeves incase she asked to make something but as she got older she would get her own bits out the cuboard and create her own things. If it was Chineese New year for example we talked a bit about it and had some chineese food for snack for example and some colouring sheets or word searches etc to do with it if they wanted to. They children all went within half an hour of each other so I used to keep the tv off untill their last half hour when it went on, at first they moaned a littlle but they got used to it and fridays was video night what they liked - we had a vote on what to watch.

I have colouring, playdough, arts and crafts resources out all of the time. Lego is quite popular, but they have to sit at the dining table to make it up. I am a member of a toy library through a childminding network and I get new games, construction toys and other things from them.

I also have various games, such as, Frustration, Yes or No, Buckaroo, Dominoes, Scrabble type games. I usually rotate these so that they dont get bored with the same ones.

If it is Valentines, Mothers, Fathers day etc, I will have suitable resources to make cards. We have made Chinese lanterns recently and are having pancakes on pancake day.

I go to the library on a weekly basis and choose books which I think they will enjoy.

I do find that the younger children really enjoy playing with the older ones. They also share the toys which are suitable for the younger ones, by choice. If I have the musical instruments out, then they will all make music and sing songs.

Sometimes the older children will ask to watch t.v., but this is quite rare. Occasionally if they have had a busy day at school, the children just lie on the sofa quietly.

I use to do it years ago only a couple of days a week after school for about 1 and 1/2 hours each time

it was milk and cookies, childrens tv, board games and the occasional DVD, I could of done something more exciting but the children I was looking after seemed happy to sit and "veg" after a busy day at school and I dont blame them!

do before and after school childminders have to keep learning journeys?

I use to do it years ago only a couple of days a week after school for about 1 and 1/2 hours each time

it was milk and cookies, childrens tv, board games and the occasional DVD, I could of done something more exciting but the children I was looking after seemed happy to sit and "veg" after a busy day at school and I dont blame them!

do before and after school childminders have to keep learning journeys?

hello, I think you do have to if you have a child in reception class because under the new eyfs children come under the eyfs till the 31st of august following there fith birthday, That,s why today we are doing 3D CREATIVE BUGS as an activity.

Guest tinkywinky

Hi, I have just been exploring this forum and finally found the childminding bit.

In response to the before and after school children, I have two reception children at the moment - one before school and two after school. I believe that you can be quite clever with the EYFS in so far as because they are only with you for a short time you don't have to meet all of their needs in a week. The school will do this, although for records it might be useful to get an outline of what they do in school so you can show that you are supporting it and can at least have that "what did you do at school today" answer ready when they say "I can't remember".

I tend to talk to them about their day and look at things they might have brought home in their book bags. I do take photographs as evidence, but the parents don't want any written information from me so I am keeping it for my own records for my next ofsted inspection.

The children do just want to play because they are tired so they play with the younger children as well as my year one son. Usually lego, or dressing up and we do craft stuff but they are not that interested so I don't push it. They can watch tv after dinner at 5.30 until pick up at 5.45.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)