Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Styles

We use cursive but I am really on the fence with this one!!! Some people think it is best to do cursive as it is 'dyslexia friendly as all the letters start in the same place' (quote from our school SENCO!! ha ha). However, as one of the children in my foundation class said 'that f looks silly, it's too hard to do'. Some of the letters are really tricky to form!! As long as the children are confident to mark make and are willing to have a go should we really be putting too much pressure on them to form their letters in a particular way - they are 4 and 5 years old!!!

Sorry, rant over!!

Tinky :o

Have you found out what your feeder school is doing? Unfortunately for us one school has just dropped cursive until end of year one and other now introduced it from start of reception! We have gone with non cursive but trying to get correct start and finish points and the movements right. Our main problem is undoing all the capitals that parents seem to love! It doesn't seem to matter how often it is said to use lower case - they will print everything.

korkycat

Have you found out what your feeder school is doing? Unfortunately for us one school has just dropped cursive until end of year one and other now introduced it from start of reception! We have gone with non cursive but trying to get correct start and finish points and the movements right. Our main problem is undoing all the capitals that parents seem to love! It doesn't seem to matter how often it is said to use lower case - they will print everything.

korkycat

We really struggle with the capital letters too - some parents look at you with such 'disbelief' too when you gently tackle them about this, then add the use of 'letter names' instead of sounds and you have some v. confused children!

It's not for lack of info. in my setting either - I sometimes think I should hold parents hands and read newsletters to them!

Sorry - rant over!!!

sunnyday

thanks for replies. Prob we have is different schools in the area use different styles! thanks for replies think im gonna go with cursive!!! or not!!! ARGH cant decide!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)