Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwriting Questions - Can Anyone Help ?

I have a couple of handwriting / letter formation and wondered if anyone can help.

1. Writing long vowel sounds. When joining if you wrote igh you would join the letters and then dot the i. If you write igh in pre cursive, do you still dot the i after writing g and h or before ?

2. Forming k - Which is the correct way to form - down, then diagonal back to the line and then to the bottom, or take the diagonals from the vertical line ?

3. When writing t do you make it the same height as the l, h, b etc. I always have done when teaching children to write the letters. Someone pointed out yesterday that in books etc the t is slightly shorter. This does not matter when the children write does it

I have a letter formation sheet in a book down the road which I can scan if you need it. You are correct that t is formed lower than l b, d, h etc., but I wouldn't worry unduly for children just starting to form letters

Hi Marion

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree with you - the forming of t smaller is a hard one for young children to grasp.

We have started cursive this year which has been very positive. Do you do cursive or precursive ? When you introduce the long vowel phonemes in cursive, do you show the letters joined together ? I would imagine that you would do as even if the children do not join they will see them as a joined set.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)