Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Steps In Learning Journeys

Does everyone always put the "next steps" alongside observations or photographs in the Learning Journeys?

After some parents telling me they are "helping " their children to achieve the next steps I am seriously considering leaving them out and just putting what they have been observed achieving.

I know parents are asked to contribute towards their learning, and most write things in them, tell me things that can be included, or bring it photos or items they have written or drawn at home.

Just wondering if it would be acceptable to leave out the next steps or change it to say something different.

jackie.

Does everyone always put the "next steps" alongside observations or photographs in the Learning Journeys?

After some parents telling me they are "helping " their children to achieve the next steps I am seriously considering leaving them out and just putting what they have been observed achieving.

I know parents are asked to contribute towards their learning, and most write things in them, tell me things that can be included, or bring it photos or items they have written or drawn at home.

Just wondering if it would be acceptable to leave out the next steps or change it to say something different.

jackie.

abimat, you need to click on 'fast reply' at the bottom of the thread, or 'add reply' rather than the quote button. This way you'll not have the big quote box

welcome to the forum, it'll soon be second nature!

Hi karen and welcome,

I'm not saying I don't do next steps after doing observations, I do see the point of that, but I have a few parents who are a little helpful at trying to get their child to reach the next steps!

jackie.

We collect info over the 12 weeks of obs using the short and long we then track each unique child and next step form all the info we have obtained on them in the term rather than just from one long obs. That way you can see a clear over view of what they have achieved and what would be the ideal next step for each individual child. I designed a quick way for staff to observe with postit note and link by highlighting the child achievements. Then did the same with the long obs. We use a spidergrame technique to collate all the info on each child using interest through out the 12 weeks. Thus giving us next steps to attain to for the next term. Hope this is clear and it helps. If you would like to see paper work then please ask. I've been doing this since march last year and it works realy well with all staff young and old commentting on how easy it is to use and how much their understanding has grown.

Kat -x-

Hi karen and welcome,

I'm not saying I don't do next steps after doing observations, I do see the point of that, but I have a few parents who are a little helpful at trying to get their child to reach the next steps!

jackie.

Could you give them suggestions of fun activities they can do with their children which will aid their development but not put too much pressure on a child to 'perform'? These parents are obviously very keen to do their best for these children but need a little guidance on what is and is not appropriate. :o

Thanks Beau, I think I'll have to mention "making it fun" when I next speak to parents :o

Kat, I would love to see some paperwork on how you collect for next steps. I confess it's not my strong point xD

Thankyou,

jackie.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kristine

Hi Kat,

I would like to see how you do you observations and assessment too! :o

I am always interested in learning from others! xD thanks

Kristine x

Hi

We don't do next steps for every single observation, we tend to put next steps in once every 2-3 weeks. So there will be at least 2 per half term. Over the year we make sure we have put in next steps for each area on the curriculum so that every area is covered. We don't put in a next step for every area each time. We tend to focus on the area where we think the parents can provide the best support and suggest fun activities they could do to support the child towards this next step.

This takes the pressure of the parents whilst encouraging them to support their child.

Hope this helsp

LornaC

hi i was reading your post today regarding the way you input child interest into the next staps is there any chance you could let me have a look at your paper work plz

We collect info over the 12 weeks of obs using the short and long we then track each unique child and next step form all the info we have obtained on them in the term rather than just from one long obs. That way you can see a clear over view of what they have achieved and what would be the ideal next step for each individual child. I designed a quick way for staff to observe with postit note and link by highlighting the child achievements. Then did the same with the long obs. We use a spidergrame technique to collate all the info on each child using interest through out the 12 weeks. Thus giving us next steps to attain to for the next term. Hope this is clear and it helps. If you would like to see paper work then please ask. I've been doing this since march last year and it works realy well with all staff young and old commentting on how easy it is to use and how much their understanding has grown.

Kat -x-

Hi BNPVS

I can see how it would help to use several observations to build an accurate picture of the whole child and I would love to see the paperwork to help me visualize how you do this please. Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)