Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Research Project

Hi, i'm trying ot decide on a topic for my research project. it has been suggested i do staff development, wondered what others thought of this, do you think this would work... my other idea was mark making in pre-schools...just not sure which one to do...

Who suggested staff development and what particular aspect of it did they suggest you research? I think any research involving people could potentially very tricky - but would be interested to hear more about it.

For my BA research project I looked at whether worksheets were appropriate to use in pre-school - so looked at various mark-making activities too and measured children's involvement/engagement levels compared to those of children 'doing' worksheets.

So you could guess which I would opt for!

Try and find something you're really interested in, or a question you need to find the answer to - that will keep you motivated to the end!

Maz

Thanks Maz.. it was suggested by my college... as they felt staff development would benefit my pre-school but i'm struggling to get my head round it, i think it has a lot of ethical issues and could disrupt the harmony of the pre-school and cause a bad atmosphere... they said i should look at staff development, training, areas of improvement... i just not sure its a good idea..

HappyMaz what was the outcome of the worksheet research we were talking about them at our staff meeting last week and all had differing views, what did you find i'd be very interested to hear?!

I agree with Susan choose something that interests you, it makes the reading eliment of the research project if you want to know more about the subject it is less of a chore

choose something with lots of existing reading you dont have to pick a unique or original topic it wont earn extra points, its the reasearch process. so the more existing reading already available the better

Very good advice above. Do something you are enthusiastic about and enjoy as it will be easier to get through the times when you feel you don't want to do it. We all have those and something that interests you helps to keep the momentum going.

I agree it has to be a topic that interests you and something you have been looking at developing within your setting. I've chosen involving young children in the planning process. We are looking at developing the mindstretchers ideas of the use of talking and thinking floorbooks. as this is an area I have highlighted for further develpoment within my setting.

When identifying a suitable subject to research, some good questions to ask yourself are (1) what do I want to find out? (2) how will I find it out? and (3) how will I know what the answer is?

I kept coming up with lots of ideas for my research project but couldn't work out how I would investigate it, or generate data which I could analyse to give me a chance of making any useful conclusions.

How much time do you have? That can be a factor too - you need to be able to get your research done and leave plenty of time for analysing your data (especially as everything seems to take longer to do than you think it will!).

Maz

Thanks for all your replies... i have till june to complete. I'm seriously thinking of going with mark making after reading "Mark making matters".....we were set this 4 weeks ago now.. i'm just wasting so much time trying to decide what to do....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)