Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Permanently Poorly Child

Cait

We have a little boy at Preschool who seems permanently unwell, Mum is always saying 'he's got this....' 'he's got that ....' Colds, coughs, tummy upsets, urine infections, the list is endless! He's a whingey, wimpering child who always needs to be entertained - he cannot source his own things to play with and clings round his key person.

She's very 'precious' with him, he's not allowed to dress up in case he puts something 'girlie' on, he's not allowed on the slide in case he falls over the edge. If he's on the trampoline she wants one of us nearby. He brings his own wet-wipes and constantly wipes himself - until I 'took the bull by the horns' and told Mum that this was the reason that his face was always sore!

Now he's been off a fortnight (well it will be by Friday -she's already rung to tell me he'll not be back this week) with conjunctivitis.

I'm convinced that she's destroying his immune system by being too clean with him, and would welcome any leaflets or whatever that any of you wonderfully helpful people may have on how to boost his immune system. Other than me taking him for a fortnight into my own home that is!

Well my children are never ill although the youngest has exzema and asthma, so did his nan and my dad. But after playing with maggots, drinking puddles, playing in mud and falling in rivers, lakes and canals, they are hugely healthy.

Found these sites that might be of use.

the times

i village

Science a gogo

Real age

There are loads of others

It is difficult. We have had a child like this and mum was obsessed that he was allergic to, well just about anything! However that was only while in our care. At home he could have/do anything which was our way in. We had to be quite firm with her over various things which went against the grain as we always say a parent knows best for their child. In the end this worked.

Another family have their child off ill a lot! In this case we feel it is more to do with mum not wanting the child to leave her so we are trying to involve mum as a volunteer to give her something to do and the child the space to play and make friends.

Don't know that I am helping you here, but at least I can say you are not alone! Does that make you feel any better?

PS others got there first and are much more helpful than me!

Edited by Guest

We did consider taking matters further with the first family I mentioned before we made a breakthrough. If you are that concerned it might be worth speaking to someone at your early years department and asking for advice.