Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Flooded Classroom

emmajess

Just as I was finishing off at school today, my lovely cleaner mentioned a little bit of water was coming into the role play area. I carried on hanging up my children's fantastic paintings of patterns they'd found outside and my headteacher came in to have a look. I had my head down and just heard a huge gasp, looked up and my classroom had water acroos half of it - it had come in that quickly!

We had a manic clear up, moving things out of the water, which came up over my shoes, and it was really upsetting- loads of the children's special things, their work, my work, our toys etc etc etc was soaked and spoiled.

I'm going to need a new carpet as the water that has come in is water from the drains, which is already smelling horrible. Tomorrow I'm going to have to have my class in a combination of the hall and the ICT suite - fantastic early years provision, eh? No water tray, painting table, computers, blah blah blah...

I know lots of you have a pre-school that has to clear away each session - and I'll have to clear up at lunchtime for the school dinners - so i wondered if you had any top tips?

I know this is nothing compared to the terrible destruction in Australia and that so many people are in much worse situations, but looking at everything all covered in water has quite upset me, so I thought I'd cry on your shoulders xD

Thank you for listening! :o

We had to move out suddenly one morning the week before Christmas as a huge chunk of ceiling fell in - luckily no-one was in at the time, by the mess was horrendous. The children thoroughly enjoyed 'camping' for a while in the main body of the Chapel.

How devastating for you - particularly if you have put a lot of time and effort into the environment. :( However, try to take a positive out of it! This will give you an opportunity to rethink all those bits that just weren't working very well and change things around a bit. You might also get to spend lots of money on wonderful new resources. :o

Use your time out of your room to really canvas the opinion of your children on what they liked and want to see back and if they have any changes in mind. xD