Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Paper

Next week we are having an environment week in my class. I thought that we could recycle newspaper by making it into pulp and then making our own paper from it. The trouble is that I've got no idea of the process! Has anyone else done this or have any idea of how to do it? Please help!

I also thought we could make felt in a similar way, recycling bits of wool or cotton, but again I'm not really sure how to do this!!

I have a kit at home but I haven't used it in years!

As I recall you layer the pulp over a frame containing finely meshed wire of some description. I think you squeeze as much water out as you can, maybe using a tea towel, then let it dry?

Sorry can't help much more than that but some of the craft sites might have more info

My daughter made felt for her textiles class by placing wool yarn in between two sheets of nylon fabric and rolling a bottle of warm water over the top. Lots of rolling needed.......just like pastry!

Never saw her use plain balls of wool so don't know if that works the same.

we made paper by shredding it first and then placing it into the water tray with warm water, the childrn loved playing with it in the water and then squeezing it out to put into a blender, you may need to add more water in the blender. The pulp was put into bowls and glue and paint added. glitter also works well. Children could then choose which colour pulp they wanted and placed it onto a net curtain that had been placed into an embroidery ring, when they are happy with their design we placed the net curtain on top of a towel that was on top of newspaper on the floor, the emobroidery ring was removed and a towel was placed on top of the work and then a tray which the child jumped on this squeezed out the excess water and flattened it, the paper was then laid out to dry.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)