Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chocolate!

Beau

13. What is the name of the compound found in chocolate which is toxic to some animals, particularly dogs?

The main toxic compound found in chocolate is Theobromine. Caffeine is also found, but in much smaller quantities so this isn't what causes the danger to dogs. Because it's the cocoa that contains the compound, there is more risk from dark chocolate than milk chocolate and little risk from white chocolate.

The occasional chocolate isn't going to hurt them, but I can tell you from experience that a dog that has wolfed down the best part of a box of Milk Tray will be very sick! :o And the person who's Milk Tray it was will be very upset :( - especially when they're the person cleaning up the sick. :(xD

14. What is the name of the tree which gives the best quality of cacao beans?

I have to say I had never really thought about cacao beans and the fact there would be different qualities! There are 2 main tree types, Criollo and Forastero. 90% of our chocolate is made from beans harvested from Forastero trees, or hybrids of them. Only 10% come from Criollo trees which produce the best quality beans. :o

15. Chocolate is the name of a song written by British songwriters Karen Poole and Johnny Douglas. Who recorded it and what album can it be found on?

The album is Body Language by Kylie Minogue, although apparently it's also on her Showgirl Homecoming Live album according to Inge! :o Another one that everyone got right. xD

16. Which country consumes the most chocolate per capita?

Well, here it is! Switzerland is the culprit, consuming 22.3 lbs of chocolate each, every year. We only consume a measly 17.4 lbs in comparison - and no wonder since half of you don't seem to like the stuff! :o

Switzerland 22.3.

Austria 20.1

Ireland 19.4

Germany 18.1

Norway 17.9

Denmark 17.6

United Kingdom 17.4

Belgium 13.2

Sweden 12.8

United States 11.7

18. What is the link between Willy Wonka and a character called Roux?

This is the one Karrie was probably waiting for. :o The answer is of course the gorgeous Johnny Depp, who played both characters. Willy Wonka from the Chocolate Factory Fame and Roux from Chocolat.

post-64-1235759183_thumb.jpg

post-64-1235759208_thumb.jpg

19. What was the name of the milk chocolate covered bar with a toasted coconut and caramel centre produced between 1985-1994?

The answer is Cadburys Boost. This is what Cadbury's have to say about it!

Launched in 1985, the mighty caramel and biscuit Boost evolved over time with various versions on sale.

2003 even saw a Boost featuring the caffeine-rich Guarana berry appearing on the shelves, as well as a Boost Glucose for extra energy. Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimers’ much-loved Lone Ranger ad (complete with surreal strapline ‘It’s slightly rippled with a flat underside’) was a classic of its time.

Just one to go hali! :o

15. Chocolate is the name of a song written by British songwriters Karen Poole and Johnny Douglas. Who recorded it and what album can it be found on?

The album is Body Language by Kylie Minogue, although apparently it's also on her Showgirl Homecoming Live album according to Inge! :o Another one that everyone got right. xD

yep.. found it here... here another point??

Inge

and yes savoury every time..... cannot resist cheese!

20. What can be found in Thornton’s ‘Chocoholic Hamper’ and how much does it cost?

Milk, Dark and White Classics (335g), Dessert Gallery (210g), Continental (195g), Alcohol Truffle Collection (180g), Chocolate Smothered Vanilla Fudge (155g), Eden (159g), Original Toffi-Chocs (230g), Choc Chip Choccies (200g), Single Origin Thin Bars (200g)

The price they are sold for by Thorntons is £50, but if you're after a bargain apparently you can get them on buyagift.co.uk for £48.94. :o

Well done to everyone who took part and thank you for submitting your answers. :( And I can now reveal that we have a clear winner!

In 4th place with a very respectable 18 points is Motherclanger.

In 3rd place with 19 points is Lorna.

Well done, but bad luck on missing out on a prize this time round. Keep trying though, your turn might be next. :o

In 2nd place with 19 1/2 points is Inge! xD Since you already have a mug and badge, one of our new pens will be winging it's way to you Inge. I have seen Maz's and they're very nice, so I hope you enjoy using it. :(

And 1st place goes to..........................................

Who presumably knows s/he has 20 points and is shouting "yee haw" as we speak! :(

I would think so - perhaps she's busy getting ready to go out though. :o She was very anxious for me to get on with announcing the answers......... xD

In that case may i just say thank you for my pen, i look forward to receiving it...

and sorry to those who missed out this time..

I will now be retiring from competitions to allow you all a chance to try out the prizes.. in fact only did this one as I had a lot of time on my hands at moment....

Inge

who won then????

owww how funny you all are :( - ive got changed already - just waiting...................... for hubby xD

Good things come in three's hali! First the EYPS, then a forum mug - what could be next in store for you? :o:(

Congratulations! :(

owwwwwwww me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD thank you very much i will cherish it - i will go out a happy woman now :( - one that wins a chocolte comp - but hates chocolate :(

---- do you think the 3rd thing will be winning the lottery tomorrow so i can buy my own nursery - or is that too much to hope for .................. :o

well done Inge :(

---- do you think the 3rd thing will be winning the lottery tomorrow so i can buy my own nursery - or is that too much to hope for .................. :o

If you do, you'll have to put on a big celebration and invite us all to the opening. xD