Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recording Sleep Checks

Hi, just wondered how everyone records that they are checking sleeping babies/children. I thought using a monitor would be enough but my network coordinator says visual checks every 10mins. What is everyone else doing?

We do visual checks every 10 minutes with a 'status' comment (asleep ... or singing in cot, content ... quiet, awake with dummy .... crying in cot) etc we find that this info gives parents an idea of whether the sleep pattern is the same at Nursery as it is at home (some babies do lie awake for 10 minutes singing before dropping off, similarly ... some babies do cry for 5 minutes before going to lseep)

Visual check every 10 mins, checking position, temperature, breathing. Every 5 mins for children who are known to have a breathing problem affected by sleep. Some places I've been in have a form for recording all the info, some have a form with a box to sign that the check was done.

Thing is if I use the time that younger children are asleep to do planned activities with older children it is really disruptive - and unrealistic - to go upstairs, open a creaky door, possibly waking a restless sleeper to do a visual check ever 5-10mins!?!

I understand that this is best practice in a nursery but I can't help but think it is unmanageable as a childminder working alone to do visual checks every 5-10mins leaving other children unattended whilst you do so. I have been checking every 20mins and the monitor is always used. As a mother I never checked my sleeping children that frequently for fear of waking them. I would be really interested to hear how other childminders manage this. I do want to provide whats best for the children in my care but at the moment I can't see how I can manage sleep checks of that frequency.

Each child's home sleep pattern is followed and respected - some sleep in a cot in a darkened room, one in a cosy corner of the lounge, one on the sofa, one on a rest bed etc. and parents are always informed of how long they sleep for and how long it takes to get them off to sleep through their daily contact book.

What I want to set up next is a chart where I can record how often they've been checked - if parents want this to be more frequent I will address - unless anyones got any ideas on how else to manage it

sorry waffling now

I am a childminder and check on the sleeping children in my travel cot upstairs every 10 minutes.

I didnt check on my own children this often, but I do with the minded children. It takes hardly any time at all.

I am a childminder and check on the sleeping children in my travel cot upstairs every 10 minutes.

I didnt check on my own children this often, but I do with the minded children. It takes hardly any time at all.

Does it not interrupt the flow of what you're doing with other children though? Also if we're playing out in the garden I can't leave other children outside unattended they'd all have to come in whilst I check.

I literally race upstairs and race back down, two steps at a time!

It is what is expected, no getting around it.

do you record these checks anywhere - i'm trying to devise one, if anyones got one they wouldn't mind sharing i would be very appreciative

I am a childminder, and when I had little ones (inspection 2006) Ofsted advised me to check sleeping children every 10 to 15 minutes. I had a sleep log blu tacked to the door with a pen, and put time, comment e.g. fast asleep, singing etc. I included it with the daily diary and it went home with parents.

I dont have little ones any more, and yes, it was difficult at times, and no, i didnt check my own children that often, but I did it because it was good practice and what was expected of me

do you record these checks anywhere - i'm trying to devise one, if anyones got one they wouldn't mind sharing i would be very appreciative

No, I dont record these visits, at the moment.

Do I need to?

I will ask my Network Co-ordinator at our Childminder drop-in which is next Thursday.

When I had my last Ofsted in December, 2007, I was told that we should check on sleeping children every 10 minutes, but the Inspector didnt mention any required paperwork.

As for leaving children unattended, it depends on the children. I wouldnt leave a young baby/toddler unattended so would take them with me. If it was an older child say of three, then I would leave them for the time it takes to go to check. I know that my garden is safe. I tend to judge the circumstances.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)