Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jolly Phonics

I have been searching the net, to no avail for a jolly phonics sheet that i came across some time ago during my teacher training. As i can't find it i am hoping any one could help me. It is a single 'at a glance' sheet that has all of the actions on. I am still learning this programme and would find this extremely useful. Hope someone can help, or direct me as to where i can find it.

p.s it isnt in my jolly phonics manual! :o

Alysha

There is a booklet called Jolly Phonics Parent/Teacher Guide that has a page of 'actions'.

I usually send for more copies (free) to

Jolly Phonics Ltd

Tailours House

High Road

Chigwell

Essex

IG7 6DL

or phone 0208 501 0405

There is also a web site www.jollylearning.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Sue J

Hi Alesha, havent seen that or the parents handout thta Sue mentions. I made my own for parents and sent home 6 sounds everytime we had learnt them all.

For myself I copied the action bit from the page of the handbook, and made double sided flash cards so that when I flashed the letter to the children, I had the action in full view!

Jolly learning lists all of the actions - see below.

We're in the process of copying/scanning the pictures to put on to 1 or 2 sheets for the parents so if anyone already has this I would be grateful.

The Actions

s Weave hand in an s shape, like a snake, and say ssssss

a Wiggle fingers above elbow as if ants crawling on you and say a, a, a.

t Turn head from side to side as if watching tennis and say t, t, t.

i Pretend to be a mouse by wriggling fingers at end of nose and squeak i, i, i.

p Pretend to puff out candles and say p, p, p.

n Make a noise, as if you are a plane - hold arms out and say nnnnnn.

c k Raise hands and snap fingers as if playing castanets and say ck, ck, ck.

e Pretend to tap an egg on the side of a pan and crack it into the pan, saying eh, eh, eh.

h Hold hand in front of mouth panting as if you are out of breath and say h, h, h.

r Pretend to be a puppy holding a piece of rag, shaking head from side to side, and say rrrrrr.

m Rub tummy as if seeing tasty food and say mmmmmm.

d Beat hands up and down as if playing a drum and say d, d, d.

g Spiral hand down, as if water going down the drain, and say g, g, g.

o Pretend to turn light switch on and off and say o, o; o, o

u Pretend to be putting up an umbrella and say u, u, u.

l Pretend to lick a lollipop and say l l l l l l.

f Let hands gently come together as if toy fish deflating, and say f f f f f f.

b Pretend to hit a ball with a bat and say b, b, b.

ai Cup hand over ear and say ai, ai, ai.

j Pretend to wobble on a plate and say j, j, j.

oa Bring hand over mouth as if you have done something wrong and say oh!

ie Stand to attention and salute, saying ie ie.

ee or Put hands on head as if ears on a donkey and say eeyore, eeyore.

z Put arms out at sides and pretend to be a bee, saying zzzzzz.

w Blow on to open hand, as if you are the wind, and say wh, wh, wh.

ng Imagine you are a weightlifter, and pretend to lift a heavy weight above your head, saying ng…

v Pretend to be holding the steering wheel of a van and say vvvvvv.

oo oo Move head back and forth as if it is the cuckoo in a cuckoo clock,

saying u, oo; u, oo. (Little and long oo.)

y Pretend to be eating a yogurt and say y, y, y.

x Pretend to take an x-ray of someone with an x-ray gun and say ks, ks, ks.

ch Move arms at sides as if you are a train and say ch, ch, ch.

sh Place index finger over lips and say shshsh.

th th Pretend to be naughty clowns and stick out tongue a little for the th,

and further for the th sound (this and thumb).

qu Make a duck's beak with your hands and say qu, qu, qu.

ou Pretend your finger is a needle and prick thumb saying ou, ou, ou.

oi Cup hands around mouth and shout to another boat saying oi! ship ahoy!

ue Point to people around you and say you, you, you.

er Roll hands over each other like a mixer and say ererer.

ar Open mouth wide and say ah. (UK English) Flap hands as if a seal,

and say ar, ar, ar. (US English)

Sorry, Susan,

I still need to take my hat off to you, it had honestly never crossed my mind to cheat on the children like that! I do it all 'upside down' - looking over the top of your own arm, if you know what I mean......... Well, I'm not a teacher!!

Sue :o

the thing is when yu do the aciton in ront of adults who have no idea what your're on aout.Worse when yu do it at home with yur own family. Or is that only somethign that i do? :oxD:(:D

As part of my CPD stuff that happened this afternoon, I've been set the task of investigating different approaches to teaching phonics. Ny HoD isn't keen on Jolly Phonocs, so any other ideas???? Anyone???? I then have to go and observe this being taught to take back to my HoD.

All help gratefully recdeived

Thanks

Kate

oh kate, whyever not! Its great multi sensory, tackles different learning styles and it works. Or are you involved with signing?

Dont know anything much about it but the people who use it seem to like the new Ruth Miskin phonics programme. Her original one was called Best practise phonics but the new one has reading books and all sorts. Cant remember the exact name though, sorry!

Hamilton trust has something called Codebreakers.

Hi Susan

I am involved with signing and cued articulation is used a lot too, so I think that the actions for the letters with Jolly Phonics may become a tad confusing. I'd love to see it in action though, especially for other sound combinations, not just the initial letter sounds.

I'm really interested in learning styles at the moment and I'd love to know more and how to detect what they are if not already obvous.

Help ..anyone???

Have you looked at Nicola Calls work/ books?

I'm sure there is a school down your way that asseses learning styles as part of their entry profiles but not sure of the name or where. Could be near Portsmouth?

Hi Alysha

we use JP and think it's fab!

I have reduced all initial sounds and the sh/ch/th phoneme actions from the book onto an A3 sheet as an aid memoire for parents. You are more than welcome to have a copy if you want; I can send you a copy after half term. Let me know.

We only use the action and the small action picture to go with it rather than any other resources in the scheme. We do 3 a week and have organised it into letter formation groups. For example this half term the children have learnt:

c s a (curly caterpillar letters)

l t i (long ladder letters)

r n p (one-armed robot letters)

We have given the children a little exercise book that they keep in their book bag and each week they take home the 3 actions to stick in at home with their parent. (I've photocopied the 3 action pcitures and words underneath from the JP handbook onto 1 A4 sheet). This way the parent gets involved with their child's learning. Some in the past don't bother :o But this year people seem to be more on the ball. We introduced all this at our literacy INSPIRE workshop so the parents are fully aware of the phonic approach.

Hope this helps :)

There is a website www.rrf.org.uk that makes some interesting reading about phonics (I researched this a lot in my training) there are some very passionate views about this!

Hi liza, that would be great if you could attach a copy of your jolly phonics sheet. I like your idea of putting them into groups. I do that anyway but not in a way that the children are aware of so that is a great idea. Thanks again!X

We also use Jolly Phonics in our Nursery Class and always have great results. We learn the initial sounds mostly in the order in the handbook, i.e

set 1: s,a,t,p,i,n

set 2: c,r,e,m,d,h,k

set 3: g,o,l,f,u,b

set 4: j,q,v,w,x,y,z (different from handbook)

I send the actions home, and ask the children to "teach mum or dad" how to do them. The actions and stories attached to the sounds really help the children remember the phoneme.

I will try and attach scans of the 4 sets of actions. The quality is probably not brilliant as they have been photocopied many times and the original is long gone! They are basically photocopied from the handbook and manually cut and stuck as we wanted them.

We have also adapted some of the actions. For example, "n", we tap our nose, as we found making aeroplane actions and noises got the children rather excitable! Other ones that we've adapted are "e" - we make an elephant trunk, and "z" - we do up a zip.

I will probably have to send each sheet separately, but will have a go.

Jackie

action_sheet_s_a_t_p_i_n.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)