Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spiders

We've made spiders using crepe paper. Scrunch up some newspaper into a ball, as big as you want the spiders to be, then wrap black crepe paper round and glue-can be messy but the children like it (or most of them anyway!). Make sure the seam is on the bottom. Then we added 4 strips of black sugar paper overlapping one another for the legs. Goggly eyes are great if you've got any if not sticky white circles. We then added thin elastic to hang them.

Linda

We uses circles of card and punch holes in them ( or the children do- use of hole punch is always enjoyed) then thread the pipe cleaners though and twist them, adding eyes etc as required.

if doing spiders have you done the spider tank too- great fun this time of year, even if staff do not like them children do look here

in Autumn and in picture gallery here

hey did the links work!! (Wanted to try them, yes we will be link mad now)

Inge

They just look likethe ones I keep finding in my house. I began to think that I had an infestation untill I heard on the radio that because of favourable weather conditions they are breeding more profusely than ever and when it eventually gets cold they wll seek shelter in doors!!!!!

LAST YEAR WE MADE SPIDERS USING THE CHILDREN'S HAND PRINTS. PAINT THEM BLACK,WHEN THEY ARE DRY CUT OUT, CROSS OVER AND STICK TOGETHER AT THE 'THUMBS' LEAVING 8 'SPIDERS LEGS' ADD 2 GOOGLY EYES AND COTTON TO HANG UP WITH AND HEY PRESTO ONE SPIDER. NOT AT ALL SCARY!!

STELLA53

A few weeks ago I went into my pre-school and found 3 ladies from the church committee all peeping reluctantly into the sink staring at this spider, debating how they could send it down the plug-hole. xD I picked the poor spider up and put it outside in the garden. :D One of the ladies told me a story about a spider. Her friend bought a plant in Marks and Spencer but it died a few weeks later so she took it back, got a refund and gave the shop details of where she lived. A few days later these white coated men appeared and told her that the plant had died because a poisonous spider was lurking in the soil. They had to search her house to find its partner which they found behind her bed. It had laid eggs :o

What about a web to hang your spider from???

I use an old roses(round) or quality street (hexagonal) chocolate tin, and cut black sugar paper to fit inside.

Meanwhile I mix some salt into white (or flourescent) paint (it will sparkle when dry) and add aome marbles. You know the score add the paint coated marbles into the tin, roll around and HEY PRESTO a shimmering spider's web. Did them again today with my 2-3 children, and stuck sequin spiders all over!!!

Another one is to use paper plates, cut some small cuts or groooves into the adges and "weave" black or sparkly wool from one side of the plate to the other, round the plate etc (description stinks I know, but just try to imagine wool webs) You can add a black thumbprint spider to the plate or hang an egg box spider from a piece of wool.

As well as Halloween we link it to nursery rhymes "Miss Muffet is frightened of spiders, What frightens you?"

Jan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)