Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Disruption In Class

Hi, Wondering if anyone has any ideas in solving a particular problem. I have a very young August birthday child in Reception who is really not ready for school. The class is a rec/yr1 class and she is becoming more demanding during teacher led activities ie numeracy or literacy. She will cry asking for Mum, chew anything playdoh, tissue. I have tried to involve her in activites, sit next to older child but with no classroom assistant I am struggling.

It's a long way until September, I wouldn't panic too much yet. However I would suggest you make a record of observations (I'm sure you do already) and have a word with the school SENCO. She may be able to suggest some strategies you can put in place to support this child. Do you have Parent volunteers, or are there any students at your local college in need of a school placement who could help you out?

She's obviously not ready for directed activities, as you say, so someone else within the room could be with her whilst you are doing your directed activities.

Have you spoken to her parents about it? Has she attended a preschool, and if so, what feedback did you get from them?

Have you tried a busy box? We have used this in the passed with children who found group times in reception difficult or were just not ready for it.It can be very disruptive to have a child like that when 29 are keen and interested.Take time to decorate a shoe box with the child and put things inside she would like to play with.Either give her the box to play with while you are in group sessions or 'reward' her with the box for short periods when she is attentive and build it up from there. We had one child who loved DT so his box had masking tape,cellotape,artstraws,small boxes etc and he was allowed time with his busy box after 5 mins on the carpet, another was particularly attached to soft toys. Our current child likes to 'help' and do jobs instead so his box has a cloth (to wipe the white boards) and a dish brush to wash paint pots :o

***just remembered another 2-one box was full of the party favour type plastic toys bought in a multipack from a supermarket and another had McDonald toys in.In all cases themed to suit the childs needs-comfort, interest, fidgety fingers

Edited by Guest

I love the busy box idea! I have 2 boys in year 1 who for one reason or another can not join in carpet sessions and that may be an answer for them although I think I will structure it more.

Blackcat, I think you need to make more of an issue about this child to your SENCo and HT, you need some support in your classroom for this child if not for the others.

I love the busy box idea! I have 2 boys in year 1 who for one reason or another can not join in carpet sessions and that may be an answer for them although I think I will structure it more.

Blackcat, I think you need to make more of an issue about this child to your SENCo and HT, you need some support in your classroom for this child if not for the others.

I have already had discussions with HT but lack of funding prevents this thanks for advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar child a few years ago... an August birthday, though with virtually no language skills, who found any directed time very difficult. We planned in time for him to go back to Nursery a few times a week. We would usually try and coincide it with a time when we knew there'd be something he'd find particularly hard to cope with. Each time, he could choose someone to go with him from the class.

For him, this really seemed to help his confidence and was often seen leading some of the younger nursery children in their play.

We carried it on when he went into Year One too... and he'd come back to Reception for visits a couple of times a week.

Just an idea.

I had a similar child a few years ago... an August birthday, though with virtually no language skills, who found any directed time very difficult. We planned in time for him to go back to Nursery a few times a week. We would usually try and coincide it with a time when we knew there'd be something he'd find particularly hard to cope with. Each time, he could choose someone to go with him from the class.

For him, this really seemed to help his confidence and was often seen leading some of the younger nursery children in their play.

We carried it on when he went into Year One too... and he'd come back to Reception for visits a couple of times a week.

Just an idea.

thanx for idea, we have pre-school I'll ask if she can join in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)