Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Singing Sack

Hi Everyone, I'm relatively new to the forums and very new to 0-3.

I'm moving to the 2-3's room of the day nursery I work in, in a couple of weeks time. I've been looking at the development matters in the EYFS, just to give me a rough idea of what sort of stage the children will be at and to get my mind working about activity ideas that I could provide. Although I need to wait untill I actually get to know my key children and their interests first, I feel it's good to be prepared and having worked in pre-school for 3.5 years, I desparately need to remember what the littler ones can do/enjoy/learn from.

One thing I would love to do is a singing sack, we do this in pre-school and the children love it. (basically a bag with objects/pictures that link to different songs) Do you think that children of 2 would enjoy/understand this activity? Also, the bag we use in pre-school is a zip up bag (it's an old cushion cover really) as we aren't allowed draw string bags. Would 2 year olds be able to manage the zip if I put something large tied onto it so it was easier to hold?

I am so clueless!!! My new room leader is going to think I'm dense but it has been so long since I did anything with any children under 3.

Thanks

I think they would love it especially if you start with simple nursery rhymes like twinkle twinkle.The nursery rhyme finger puppets are good for this and I usually give them in a bag as a Christening gift.Once they get the idea you can add to the selection.

Try an elasticated bag.Replace the cord in a drawstring bag with elastic and stitch at the end of the channels.You can still have a small hang up loop OR get a plastic box with a lid and decorate the sides. Ikea do a very good and cheap range of plastic boxes with lids that stack.

I think it's a great idea - go fo it! You've considered how the resource might need to be modified for the younger age group...so not clueless at all. I've used a "spotty box" full of finger puppets with 2 year olds - the children take it in turns to choose one and then we match the puppet to a song or rhyme...they love it!

We use singing sacks with our 2 year olds and they love it as long as you keep the songs short to hold their attention. We have a plastic treasure chest (we got it from the local pound shop)which the children can easily open.

Thanks for the replies, I was very impatient yesterday and before reading your answers I got started decorating a cushion cover, (I am worse than the children for getting excited about things!) however like someone said, maybe it doesn't even need to have a fastener so I might just take the zip out. I don't know...I'll have a think. Anyway, thought I'd post a piccy of it so here goes.... (hopefully, never done this before so fingers crossed)...

DSCF5050.jpg

That's lovely, what a clever person you are...be careful posting that picture, you might have a few requests for you to make more! :o

That's lovely, what a clever person you are...be careful posting that picture, you might have a few requests for you to make more! xD

Lol- well they can request but they'll be waiting a while, that one took hours! lol :o

Thank you both of you for the compliments though, I do enjoy making things.

Whilst I'm here, are there any other activities or experiences that you have provided for 2 year olds that have proved popular or successful?

(Can't you tell I'm looking forward to the change?!)

:(

Hi,

What a lovely sack you put together, well done.

How about a basket of instruments to accompany the songs next time too. You can gather some lovely musical resources quite easily these days.

I think they would also enjoy any "Treasure Basket" collections,

wooden items

shiny items

material samples etc.

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)