Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teetotal Wine Buff

Interesting thread! I have been drinking tonic water as I don't like my drinks sweet. I also drink grapefruit squash for the same reason. I've never tried mixing the 2 together though! Hubby has gone down the ginger beer route. I will try a few of the other ideas here though.

I'm looking forward to your tasting results Peggy! :o

Thanks again, Beau, I shall certainly devize some recipes ad add my 'tasting results'. Haven't got out shopping yet but hubby got me some cranberry juice as a starter.

Hali when I read 'Russian' thought you meant the cocktail Vodka and lemonade or coke depending on whether you want a black or white Russian. xD I used to like that Vodka, tia maria and lemonade, though not tasted it for many years.

Thanks Inge for the label warning, I've also found this to be the case in some foods too.

Mind you I looked on a Pancreas society type website for recipes and one actually had included in the recipe a teaspoon of Sherry. :o:( think I'll give that one a miss, I was just a bit dumbfounded considering one doctor even advised me not to even smell alcohol, let alone taste/drink it.

Peggy

I can't find my ginger-beer recipe Peggy. It is in an old home-brewing book. I have looked online and there are several similar recipes but there is a warning that there might be a small alcoholic content as of course the fizz is cause by fermentation. :o

I can't find my ginger-beer recipe Peggy. It is in an old home-brewing book. I have looked online and there are several similar recipes but there is a warning that there might be a small alcoholic content as of course the fizz is cause by fermentation. xD

Thanks for trying JaquieL, much ppreciated, I'll do some research. :o

Peggy

Thanks again, Beau, I shall certainly devize some recipes ad add my 'tasting results'. Haven't got out shopping yet but hubby got me some cranberry juice as a starter.

Hali when I read 'Russian' thought you meant the cocktail Vodka and lemonade or coke depending on whether you want a black or white Russian. :( I used to like that Vodka, tia maria and lemonade, though not tasted it for many years.

Thanks Inge for the label warning, I've also found this to be the case in some foods too.

Mind you I looked on a Pancreas society type website for recipes and one actually had included in the recipe a teaspoon of Sherry. :o:( think I'll give that one a miss, I was just a bit dumbfounded considering one doctor even advised me not to even smell alcohol, let alone taste/drink it.

Peggy

No Peggy totally non alcholic - just like tonic water but flowery and pink - not too sweet xD

Maz told me about this thread as I've really not been about much since going back to work.

I have never drunk so I'm always hunting for good non-alcoholic stuff to drink.

My favourites are always fresh orange and lemonade when in a pub as it's always available! Other than that I like Orange and passionfruit J2O.

I've tried a number of non-alcoholic versions of different drinks as they have been brought out over the year and as far as I'm concerned they aren't worth drinking at all, they are nasty!

Bottlegreen do some lovely cordials. They're all no additives, colourings ar flavourings.

Spiced Berry can be served cold or hot (tastes like mulled wine but alcohol free)

Elderflower is refreshing

English Summer Fruits and sparkling water is a "Pimms type drink"

and there's a Lemongrass & Ginger for something a little different.

Worth shopping around for, Waitrose often have them on buy-one-get-one-free or similar deals.

Nona

The very best non alcoholic drink, in my opinion, is Bottlegreen (as nona mentioned) Ginger and lemongrass cordial mixed with sparkling water (the water can be anything - 20p Tesco value does just as good as anything more expensive).

It's got a real kick to it and makes you feel that you're drinking something far more wicked.

And if you want something to make you feel like you're drinking a strong liqueur, try Gran Halstead's Ginger Wine. Peggy, if you like strong ginger I'll send you a bottle since it might be more available down here? :o