Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading In Reception

Hi, can anyone give any guidance as to how they do guiding reading in a reception class with one teacher and 1 TA, just left a staff meeting about it and am feeing confused!! I used to do it once week with every child working in small ability groups! not sure i'm doing it right now though!!

I'm not sure how much help I can be as the phonics programme we use incorporates paired reading which we do instead of guided reading but going back a few years I used to do once a week for each group of children. I would only do specific guided reading when they were ready for it, prior to that I would play word games or do word building activities with them. Our aim was that that it would only be by May/June that we would expect all children to be doing some sort of guided reading. We felt they needed the reading skills before they could really access guided reading. I hope this is some kind of help - it seemed to work for us.

thank you, that is what i do, individual readers, and then the guided reading session once a week. I have just been told i need to link my guided read sess to activities within the classroom e.g idependent reading sess, making something related to the book etc and that these activities should be happening at the same time..... I think this sounds more like a year 1 classroom?? as in reception they are involved in free flow play and one member of staff usually does a focused activity e'g guided reading..... has anyone else been told they need to link their guided read to all other activities within the class???? I am finding it hard to start planning as different ability children are reading different books within the guided read session! help!

Sounds like you are suffering what a lot of us in reception classes are finding. Being stuck between delivering the EYFS effectively and doing what we know is right for young children and the expectations (and ignorance) of other staff who teach older classes, pressure of statistics-SATS, league tables etc. We used to say a rock and a hard place!!

Edited by Guest

Ha, ha, thank you, at least i know i'm not the only one finding this! Sometimes i think it would be much easier to be teaching key stage 1!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Redgirls

I teach R/yr1 and i do do guided reading sessions.

This term I have assessed all the children using letters and sounds and have 4 groups, the year 1 are a group.I choose books suitable for the ability or read simple sentences(phase2 or phase 3) with the group.The year1 do 2 a week.

i can't fit books into theme or topic of the week /half term.....i might look at non fiction books on seasons (have sets for each season)or atlas if talking about country/north pole eg....very simple dictionaries etc

anyway welcome tothe forum Redgirls

Tinkerbellx

Thank you, I also do not have access to guided reading books which link to theme and ability groups..... Using captions and sentences from the letters and sounds doc sounds like a good idea to use in a guided read session. thank you for your response and ideas!

Im having exactly the same problem at the moment! I have just decided, after lots of stressing out, that im going to do what i believe is best for my children and not listen to anyone else as its making my head spin! I have only started guided reading as i did not feel my children were ready. This happens once a week and some groups of children are reading captions, posters and playing games that involve reading CVC words as they re clearly not able for my books that have full sentences. I also made some simple books with pictures of the children in my class and simple 3 word sentences like 'Yusuf can run' etc that will allow the children to succeed and enjoy our sessions. My advice is to do what you think as i bet you know exactly what they need and are ready for. Good luck x

Sounds like good advice! i'm still going to continue guided reading with my lower ability group but will work with them in the cont. provision areas they are interested in e.g role play house etc. ok, not stressing as much now! Thanks everyone!

Hi

There is a good DVD called "Early Reading Curriculum CPD Resource" copies available from www.teachernet.gov.uk/publications

or you can download from

www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk

ref: 00053-2008DVD-EN

It has examples of teachers doing guided reading sessions at each of the letters and sounds phases. It's very reassuring as you will probably find it is what you are already doing.

Hope it helps

Jay

• 3 years later...

Sounds like you are suffering what a lot of us in reception classes are finding. Being stuck between delivering the EYFS effectively and doing what we know is right for young children and the expectations (and ignorance) of other staff who teach older classes, pressure of statistics-SATS, league tables etc. We used to say a rock and a hard place!!

Absolutely agree!!! After all, we can not make children read if they are not ready! We can provide opportunities and teach them appropriately and when they are ready they will fly!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)