Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Development Matters

Hi everyone,

I was evaluating some observations yesterday, using the development matters. But I got a bit stuck on some of them! And was wondering if anyone could offer me any help?

My first observation was of a group of children in the playhouse, making dinner for Santa. I was talking to them about what Santa does, and one child said that he comes down the chimney, and so this boy looks up at the ceiling, and says "But there's no chimney"

I thought this would come under KUW 5 - Notices differences between features of the local environment ?

Secondly, a group of children were stood at the window and we were talking about where they lived. A child points out one way to tell us which way he lives, but then points he opposite way to tell us that's the way he came today. He came the other way because the road they usually come on is closed, and when I asked him if this was why he said "Yes, cars not allowed there" We thought that might be the same as above? Because he's able to tell the difference between these two roads?

Third.

Two children came to look at three jugs which had been left out over night, and they went to tell mum what had happened to them, and mum asked them how cold it was outside, so I told them it had been 4degrees when I came outside this morning, but now it was only 2, the boy turns to the girl and says "You 4, me 2"

I looked for a bit about devising schemes of remembering things? But couldn't find anything, and also looked for a bit about taking messages?

Anybody know where I might find these bits? :o

I've never evaluated any observations before xD and I got in a bit of a muddle with these ones!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mrs Weasley

Hi everyone,

I was evaluating some observations yesterday, using the development matters. But I got a bit stuck on some of them! And was wondering if anyone could offer me any help?

My first observation was of a group of children in the playhouse, making dinner for Santa. I was talking to them about what Santa does, and one child said that he comes down the chimney, and so this boy looks up at the ceiling, and says "But there's no chimney"

I thought this would come under KUW 5 - Notices differences between features of the local environment ?

Secondly, a group of children were stood at the window and we were talking about where they lived. A child points out one way to tell us which way he lives, but then points he opposite way to tell us that's the way he came today. He came the other way because the road they usually come on is closed, and when I asked him if this was why he said "Yes, cars not allowed there" We thought that might be the same as above? Because he's able to tell the difference between these two roads?

Third.

Two children came to look at three jugs which had been left out over night, and they went to tell mum what had happened to them, and mum asked them how cold it was outside, so I told them it had been 4degrees when I came outside this morning, but now it was only 2, the boy turns to the girl and says "You 4, me 2"

I looked for a bit about devising schemes of remembering things? But couldn't find anything, and also looked for a bit about taking messages?

Anybody know where I might find these bits? :o

I've never evaluated any observations before xD and I got in a bit of a muddle with these ones!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mrs Weasley

the second point could be "Show understanding of cause/ effect relations." KUW Exploration & Investigation because he is showing an understanding of the explanation he has been given. But there are some elements of Communication here because he has understood your question and is offering you a response to your query, again demonstrating his understanding of the situation.

The number one is PSRN "use some number names spontaneously" or "say some counting word randomly", if he's only working at that age band

Without knowing he children it's hard to make these kind of judgements, and it's late on Sunday and i've been asleep on the sofa.... but I just wanted to help a bit

Hello

Not sure if this will help or not, but when we evaluating observations we just put them under correct headings (i.e Knowledge and Understanding of the World / Physical Development etc..) We decided to do this beacuse very often one observation can cover many aspects in one area of learning.

But we also do one observation a week on a chosen Aspect, so that observation is obviously the chosen aspect.. does that make sence?!

Hope that helps.

Not sure if this will help or not, but when we evaluating observations we just put them under correct headings (i.e Knowledge and Understanding of the World / Physical Development etc..)

That sounds like a fab idea.. much less work! xD

But after I've evaluated the observation, I am putting the evaluation information into the child's observation tracker which contains all the development matters. So, I'd still have to figure out which one applies to it :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)